It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: I'm Screwed
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:59 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Yesterday my transmission went out.

Reverse makes weird noises and does not work. First and second gears makes repetitive clicking noises, when third gear is needed, it's as if the car goes into neutral.

Tomorrow we'll see if I can afford to save the car.

Any ideas? Let me know...

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:16 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

a full tranny fluid service, and have them inspect it. Get some Lucas tranny oil. Also check if ur car has a tranny cooler, that its working and ur fluid is not overheating.

Accel Brute Thunder HEI Super Coil
Accel Ignition Module
MSD Rotor
Hypertech 180F Thermostat
Mister Transmission Fluid Cooler
Cool Collar Oil Filter Cooler
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:36 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

hmmm, let see here.... well if you want to get any money for it with a junk transmission, and have good insurance, you need to total it and make them think it was perfect before it got totaled :lol: I'd say have a buddy "steal" your car and smash it up beyond repair... or you could always go for the "brakes gave out on the boat ramp" story.... actually no, set fire to it (the gas tank spontaniously exploded) and THEN push it down the boat ramp, once the fire at least destroies the interior. Just make sure you have your story straight when they ask you what you were doing on the boat ramp! 8-[ :laughing:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:19 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

sounds like that tranny bit it bigtime... Just like my old caddy. One day I was driving and it wouldnt shift out of second, then at the next light, it wouldnt shift out of first... Then I parked at school, and I couldnt back out! It was stuck in drive, no matter what I selected...

I was on my way to the tranny shop, and just a block before, a huge BANG, and I had no power AT ALL. I had just enough momentum to cruise into the alley behind the tranny shop :-) I thought that was WAY too convienent. They thought it was pretty funny aswell :-)

Is the car itself worth rebuilding the tranny? It would likely cost you around 2G's.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:36 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

not really worth it... it'll cost $1500 at a certain guy my dad goes to.

i think i'm gonna get it replaced just because i don't have money for a new car, and $1500 is a lot cheaper than buying a new car, or even a decent used car.

i've thought about replacing it myself, but in the end i doubt i'd save myself much.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:46 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

what are you talking about? Education isnt worth it in the end? :-) I feel for ya, having a vital part go on your car just ruins everything. Good luck - do you think maybe a used tranny would be an idea? (possibly run into the same problem who knows when?)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:03 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The "new" tranny is a rebuilt. Should be done by Friday, I get to drive my dad's Chevy Astro van until then.

If I had a lift, I'd try to do it myself in a heartbeat, but all I have is front wheel ramps.

I talked to my cousin, who lives in Detroit and works as a BMW mechenic, asked him what he thought I should do. He said I found a good deal and all the major bugs should be worked out of my car. The only other things Cieras have had problems with is ignition coils. He looked in a database he has access to and found an unusually large amount of incidences of Ciera/other GM trannies dying early.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:39 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

mine's on the verge aswell... The trannies of this era from GM werent particularily well designed. I think 86delta would agree? :-)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:59 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

My tranny is acting funny as well. At WOT conditions it revs up like no tomorrow but doesnt go anywhere, if i take it up slowly where im not at WOT its alright.

Accel Brute Thunder HEI Super Coil
Accel Ignition Module
MSD Rotor
Hypertech 180F Thermostat
Mister Transmission Fluid Cooler
Cool Collar Oil Filter Cooler
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:04 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

slippage fix (temporary of course) : lucas transmission additive. I stuck some in mine, and it sharpened up shift points, and no slippage. I dont know how long it will help for, but it works good, and everyone I know recommends it.

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]