It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Clunk in Transmission
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:05 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Just recently, my delta started clunking when slowing down for a red light, as if it were having trouble down shifting a gear. Not every time, just a select few times there will be one or two small clunks as it slows down. Yesterday, on acceleration from the red light, I had one thud (just like when you step on the gas too soon after shifting from park). Its kinda worrying me, and I think I want to do anything I can now, before its too late.

Anyone have any idea what could cause that? I even thought about an engine mount problem, but it only does it as slow speeds, no problems in any other gear, and the trans still downshifts just fine if you put your foot in it.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:28 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Have you changed the transmission fluid recently? if you haven't... change it and check for excessive metal shavings in the fluid and or screen. There will always be a little bit of metal in the fluid but if you see alot a red flag should go up. Also make sure the fluid doesn't smell too "burnt"

that's where I'd start if it was mine

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:20 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

I will change the pan fluid as soon as I can, along with the filter. I smelled the dipstick when I checked the level the other day, and it smelled good, looked nice and red... I will do it anyway, since I really dont want this problem to become an issue. Its been ok lately, hasnt clunked in a while... I am almost thinking there was a plugged valve in there somewhere or something? Not quite sure, but I would rather check it out then replace a front wheel trans!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:55 pm 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

ahhh..yet another Olds lover in need :wink: ok....heres what the MOST likely possibility is...the torque convertor lockup solenoid sounds like its sticking. What will happen, is when you go down the road fast enough, the transmission will go into overdrive, and the lockup solenoid will trip, locking the convertor to get better economy by dropping the gear ratio. However, when you slow down, the transmission tries to drop back out of overdrive, but the lockup solenoid wont let it, so what happens is when the speed drops, the lockup solenoid will disengage, causing a noticeable "CLUNK" in the transmission, sometimes not till the car is almost to a dead stop. When this symptom gets worse, it will actually make the car die, and upon restarting and dropping into gear, the car will possibly die once more, because the gearing is SOOO underdriven, since technically the car is still stuck in overdrive. On the older deltas and most FWD GM cars, theres a plugin on the front of the transmission down low towards the radiator. This is the plugin for the lockup solenoid. Unplug it and take it for a drive. If it doesnt clunk anymore, thats your problem. Its best to have a transmission place replace the solenoid, as you have to drop the side cover off the transmission on the drivers side to access the lockup solenoid.

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]