It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dual Exhaust
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:16 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

I spent some money on my car! On cardomain, there is a guy by the name of 86delta . He got dual exhaust put on his delta, and it looked killer. But he got a flowmaster for a V8 put on... He said it was kinda loud. He also said if he could do it again, he'd use a stock camaro muffler. So, not to be a copy cat or nothing :-) I went and got everything ordered to do exactly that on my car. The stock camaro muffler in theory would be a little quieter than a flowmaster, yet louder and deeper than a stock 3.8 muffler.

I guess we'll see how everything works out and sounds once I'm done! If 86delta is on this message board... You should message me, I'd love to talk to you a bit! I want to pipe it straight out under the bumper with those "Y" splitter chome tips, and it'll look mean I think... I hope! The only way to see is to actually do it! Will post some pictures when I am done, and let you guys be the judge!

Anyone speculate on how a 3.8L would sound with stock 2.5" with cat-co in place and a stock camaro dual exhaust in the back vs. bone stock single 3.8l muffler? Would I be able to expect any sort of HP gains too, or am I getting ahead of myself?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:52 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

it will almost sound like a v8 I would go with the flows, get 40 series because their quiet but hit the gas and they sound mean, I don't know if you'll feel any gains, you might though

1972 Olds Cutlass- Parts car
www.cardomain.com/id/psycodiver69
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:27 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Only one muffler was used I believe, he is a member of this board, haven't seen him on here in a while....but yea, I think he used a duel outlet flowmaster muffler. It looked pretty cool, bet it sounds cool too! :twisted: I was thinking of doing that too, but right now, I am thinking about the LeMans, not too sure...kinda stuck in the middle...

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:34 pm 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

the Flowmaster 40 series are 2 chamber mufflers, and probably the loudest of their street muffler offerings.

"The 40 Series[tm] is the most aggressive sounding street and strip muffler in Flowmaster's product line. If you are looking for the original "Flowmaster tone," the 40 Series[tm] is the one. The performance street and strip muffler will also generate interior resonance within the vehicle. So if you want to really hear your exhaust system inside the vehicle as well as outside it, the 40 Series[tm] is for you."

the muffler Flowmaster lists in a transverse application for the F body is an 80 series crossflow muffler.

"80 Series : 80 Series Crossflow (Chev. Camaro / Pontiac Firebird 3.00" Offset Input / 2.50" DualOutput
The 80 Series performance street muffler is specially designed for applications where the muffler must be mounted transversely (crossflow) behind the rear axle, either to match an OE system or for increased ground clearance. The 80 Series is a true crossflow with single or dual inlet/dual outlet configurations and produces an aggressive muscle car sound. "

They do offer a single inlet, dual outlet muffler in several different series as well. I'd suggest you browse thru their offerings at:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com

they also offer sound clips of different series mufflers to get a general idea of the sound quality. Go to the series youre interested in, and click on the PDF file for individual muffler specs.

I have the 40 series on the Cutlass, and lemme tell ya, they're FAR from being quiet :twisted: :twisted:

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:29 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

The biggest reason I did the dual exhaust was for looks... Sound came second, and I didnt really want a LOUD or raspy sound to my car. I kinda like not being able to hear much inside my car.

Anyways, I got the car back, and its all done!!!
Looks killer, and I will get some pics up tomorrow. Sounds PERFECT.. Exactly what I wanted. The only difference in tone between stock and this setup is idle and lower RPM's have more of a growl to it. Slightly noticeable inside the car, but really noticeable from the outside. Again, its not going to wake up the neighbors when I come home or leave in the morning.

I am very pleased with my new exhaust!
Oh, and absolutely no performance gains noticeable either.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:11 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Ok everyone, I have 2 pictures of my new dual exhaust. They are not the best, or the best angles, but i was in a hurry. Also, I put in a picture of my car computer actually running!

Its running the ALDL software, and monitoring the engine. The picture shows the DASH readout, how fast I was going and the RPM at the moment also. It also has throttle position, o2 sensor reading and mass airflow reading. In the background (gimme a break, its hard to take a picture of a computer screen!!!) you can see lots of measurements for many sensors such as Volts, Temp, blah blah blah...

So anyways, there you have it, my dual exhaust that I am so absolutely proud of! I really think it looks classy, and even though its not ear peircingly loud, it sounds very nice with a low growl at idle, and deeper than stock tones throughout the powerband.
Tell me what you think!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:18 am 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

delta, a couple quick questions....first, where did you get the ALDL software, and the ALDL data hookup? I was thinking this may be useable for me at work, for test drive diagnostics. I have an older Dell laptop that i may be able to get this running on. How and where did you tie it into the laptop?

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:20 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Ok... long story, but here goes!

First, any GM vehicle with the original ALDL port under the dash, not the newer ODB2 port will work for this... I can refer you to a site that actually shows you how to make a connector for this, and there are only actually 2 connections that are used in MONITOR mode. 3, I believe if you want to interface with the car and trip it into diagnostic mode.

The program I am using is called WIN ALDL, and out of about 5 programs I tried, it is the smoothest running and most useful. The site is:

http://w1.601.telia.com/~u60113744/soft ... inaldl.htm

Anyways, I took a laptop with a serial port on it, made the cable from the ALDL site, and chose which ECM I had in the program, and off to the races I was... Maybe it wasnt such a long story! But it seems to work well, and if you look at the site, it will go into detail about all the features and functions of the program.

If anyone has anymore questions on how I did anything about the car computer, let me know...

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:39 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

no performance gains for me either with my dual exhaust set up

"When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come, with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun?" The Clash
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:04 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

86Delta wrote:
no performance gains for me either with my dual exhaust set up
What engine does an 86 & 88 Delta have? a four? As soon as I get my duals on my 78 Cutlass,what gains should I expect on a mostly stock 76 Olds 350? I will be using headers,but later I will switch them out to ceramic coated,like on the vette.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:31 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

its a 3.8 v6, it isn't real dual exhaust, just a dual outlet camaro muffler.

"When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come, with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun?" The Clash
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:21 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Does anyone here have a V8,& do they think a crossover(H or X pipe),is a good idea? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:51 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

nwmaximus wrote:
Does anyone here have a V8,& do they think a crossover(H or X pipe),is a good idea? :?:

I have a V8, and YES, an H or X pipe is a good idea

H is good, X is better. I don't have either (I just have single exhaust), but that's what I've heard.

I was thinkinking about this a while ago and read this on the Flowmaster website...... I just copied it here:

"An "H" pipe, commonly referred to as an equalizer, balance or crossover pipe, connects the two exhaust pipes. It will balance the pressure of the exhaust pulses in the system, thereby reducing interior and exterior sound while increasing power. In general the "H" pipe should be installed as close as possible to the header collector. With manifolds, the "H" pipe should be laced just past where the downpipes become horizontal. "H" pipes should be the same diameter as the main pipes or no-more than 1/2" smaller. "

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:23 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I heard a 2" crossover on a 2.5" exhaust(like my vette) works good.I havent had one installed on either car yet,but I guess I can add one on my new vette exhaust,and do it on the Cutlass when I install dual exhaust.I was thinking an extra set of flanges just to the rear of the tranny would be nice if you have to drop the exhuast,to get to the tranny.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]