It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: EGR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:59 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I went for a drive with the EGR vacume hose disconnected, and wow it pulls so much harder. The vacume hose is enough to keep the valve closed all the time? I was expecting codes, but i didnt get any either. Had some fun with 2 civics on the highway. Is the EGR something u can get power from? or is it very little? Id think so considering it lets already burnt exhaust gases back to be reburnt, more oxygen would create more power. I noticed my cat got really hot though, i knew this because even after i connected it back, and drove home easy to let the engine coolant and oil cool down, and let it idle at home, when i turned it off i could hear the cat contracting hard. Would a higher flow cat help? or i might just take it out completely.

Anyone runnning no EGR or blocked it off?

Accel Brute Thunder HEI Super Coil
Accel Ignition Module
MSD Rotor
Hypertech 180F Thermostat
Mister Transmission Fluid Cooler
Cool Collar Oil Filter Cooler
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:39 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The EGR system on cars is only activated at part throttle positions when you go to WOT manifold vacum drops to zero and the valve closes, if you got a power increas it may be that the EGR solenoid is leaking vacum to it at idle etc or the pintle doesnt seal properly, EGR delets have been sround fer a while since the first emissions equipment appeared on cars.

BTW speedy did you get the full video of the 442? I think i sent it but i cant remember!?! if ya didnt let me know and i can resend it.

James

13.81 @ over 98 MPH! consistent 1.9s 60'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:07 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Yah i did thanks.

I thought the valve let exhaust gases to the intake manifold the more u open the throttle. I didnt know it closes at WOT, because just from disconnecting that vacume line, it was like it was a whole new car, i couldnt get enough of how hard it was pulling in the mid rpm range, connecting it back there was a big noticable difference , lower rpms and felt like the car was struggling compared to the line off.

Accel Ignition Module
MSD Rotor
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:23 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

The EGR is not necessary, If you had a carburated car I'd say get rid of it, but I don't know how it will affect your computer with it disconnnected. I suppose if you unhook it and run it for a while and the computer doesn't throw any codes, it might be ok. also keep an eye on your gas milege.

My car came with an EGR (I think 73 was the first year) I removed it and blocked off the hole in the intake. Can't say I noticed a gain in power, but it at least looks better under the hood without it :lol:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:54 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I noticed it was eating fuel like no tomorrow, that highway run i had with the two civics the rpms never dropped below 3500rpm i noted the gas gauge go down a notch or so in like 50km.

I thought i was gonna get a code for sure, but nothing at all, could something be malfunctioning like the EGR solenoid James mentioned.

Im guessing its not okay to let NOx to the cat because it would get superhot, and shorten the life? I had a friend whos cat was clogged and robbed soooo much power from his car, doesnt make sense unless the honey comb inside melts and really blocks airflow.

Accel Ignition Module
MSD Rotor
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:58 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hey i made my own block off plate today, when i first started to accelerate it was a rough acceleration. After that it was ok, but when revving it in park i could hear back firing or pinging maybe? So i went easy on it and went to the gas station and filled up on 94 octane, had 87 in there before. Wow huge difference, after about 5 km the car was like normal smooth accleration and smooth revs, i noticed more power after that to! The RPM's climb slower when revving in park. Didnt throw any codes. I have a feeling i could get even more out of the delete of my chip was programed to be without it. Is it bad for the engine to block off the EGR when its programed in the chip?

Accel Ignition Module
MSD Rotor
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:31 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

i disconnected my EGR as well and installed an edelbrock aircleaner with a home made cold air... it definatly ripped a little harder than stock and showed no problems. a few weeks later the service engine light came on and the idle would get rough and i would hear a pinging. The engine temp also seemed a little higher at idle. another odd thing i noticed was the vapor lock i would get (deisling) when i turned the car off after driving it hard or under high temps. im not exatly sure if disconecting the egr caused these things, but in my opinion, olds likes EGR because i hooked it all back up to stock again and it idles alot smoother and it cured the vapor lock and pinging. My service engine light remains on to this day.

Currently driving: 2004 Sentra 1.8S
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:06 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

if your light is still on then disconect the battery for 30 seconds. that should get rid of it.

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]