It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 5 of 5 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:18 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Right now i am trying to locate a factory rod (from another application) to allow the use of SII short compression height pistons with a rod longer than the factory SI/EV6 i havent gotten an exact measurement but the SI rod is dam near 5.9 inches c to c and using the SI piston means i need to find a factory rod ~ 6.1-6.15 in length

SII guys only wish they could fit a rod that long in a short deck...

on this same note a SI guy could get a crank with a larger stroke while using the factory SI rod with a factory or forged aftermarket SII piston, cheap stroker...

well onto the pics...
this is the SI/SII Hybrid (by now ya'll know i'm talking about the EV6/Ecotec) the end gaps under the intake is 1 inch, the sides are approx 1 5/32 inches
awww yeah SII alternator bracket, SI front lower mount, with SI cover and pump, pulley's all line up all good there.
a high res view of the cylinder bore/head alignment, anyone ever scribe the heads with the bore, my one head needs a .010 ofset pin to move it up, but i want to check more.
nice view of the pushrods...
here's the two coolant ports...these will play into my work on a custom fabb'd intake manifold, i will section out the middle and weld in aluminum to widen it as well as i am looking into external plumbing for the cooling system...i am wanting to see how dificult it would be to make it a reverse flow system, sending the cool coolant straight to the heads and then into the block to prevent hot spots.
Yup it's def an EV6 with symetrical port heads...
crankcase pics:
and this is the main reason i have figured it easier and better to widen the LIM than spacers and the problem shown in these pics, bolt angles, you could slot the LIM but that thick of spacers is pretty excessive as are the other problems, this is why i have settled on widening the manifold.
Here i played with flipping the manifold backwards to see if it would be better for external plumbing access to the needed coolant ports in the heads with some work to the T chain cover i could make a bypass for coolant leaving the water pump to the head passages and from there into the block and exiting the front to a remote thermostat/restricter plate.
SII FWD front engine mount adaptor bolted on
SI FWD front engine mount bracket and AC comp bracket. either could be used in the final engine, the questions arise for RWD differences, but i'll leave that to ya'll.
I have yet to finish sorting this all out but it looks like the SII alternator bracket can be used with some work or the SI stuff can be retained, i do not have a clue (yet!) what this means as for using the dual belt drive setup on a SII L67 on the SI/SII Hybrid.
a few more pics:
The SII EGR could be used in this setup, but i don’t have smog test's... what? like the guy will ever even think to check for a rear engine...:dancingna
one of the issues of a spacer for the intake...alternator bracket clearance...
the SII tensioner lines up perfectly with the SI pump with SI pulley
for the FWD crowd...now that the SII heads are 1 inch higher there is now an issue with the rear manifold, for turbo vehicles with headers...i dont see an issue but with the firewall on a W body this would probably require rewelding of the rear manifold to lower the angle.
and now to the rods and pistons, i have finally pressed the SI apart and hope to have pics here in the near future (uh yeah the SI rod is a good bit meatier in many ways..but as i said i am looking for longer rods from a different engine/application so that the aftermarket forged SII pistons can be used with an even longer rod at stock stroke is 1.80 rod/stroke angle vs 1.73 for a stock rod SI, which is still way better than a factory SII
but before i go nuts with numbers i have been checking an it would seem that there are different compression height SI pistons...which means several different incarnations of SI (EV6/L27/LN3/LG3) connecting rod length
I'll let your imagination wander...i bet ya can figure which is which..
and the turbo's i'd love to have on the 442...now if i can only steal them off my pop's 07 Peterbilt 13.5L Cat compound turbocharged diesel

13.81 @ over 98 MPH! consistent 1.9s 60'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:57 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi Turbocharged400sbc, all,

Ran across this when I was looking for something else. Don't ask.

Quote:
........ I have been thinking of using aluminum for the intake spacers i need for the SI/SII (EV6/Eco) hybrid, and this weekend while i was cutting 1/2 inch plywood for the mockup spacers...why not use phenolic material here to reduce intake temps? ........

According to the Chief Engineer at AEM it doesn't make much difference which material you use.

"Basically, the rate at which air travels through the inlet path under open throttle, when one is asking the engine for maximum power, negates the effect of material heat soak, regardless of the material."

They were one of my accounts on my last job. Roger H, designer of the Victors for Olds, moved from Edelbrock to AEM and is design engineer there.

I believe the information to be accurate. Especially, since he agrees with me. :lol:

Aluminum is both cheaper, and easier to machine.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:43 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:
Hi Turbocharged400sbc, all,

Ran across this when I was looking for something else. Don't ask.

Quote:
........ I have been thinking of using aluminum for the intake spacers i need for the SI/SII (EV6/Eco) hybrid, and this weekend while i was cutting 1/2 inch plywood for the mockup spacers...why not use phenolic material here to reduce intake temps? ........

According to the Chief Engineer at AEM it doesn't make much difference which material you use.

"Basically, the rate at which air travels through the inlet path under open throttle, when one is asking the engine for maximum power, negates the effect of material heat soak, regardless of the material."

They were one of my accounts on my last job. Roger H, designer of the Victors for Olds, moved from Edelbrock to AEM and is design engineer there.

I believe the information to be accurate. Especially, since he agrees with me. :lol:

Aluminum is both cheaper, and easier to machine.

Regards, Norm

very true in terms of the alum spacers...however this is not the way to go on this project...the end oil seals have to be an inch thick and the side (port) spacers have to be ~ 1 5/32's then ya get into the intake bolt alignment (sux when it's not perpendicular with the intake face) issues...not worth the headache here:
Turbocharged400sbc wrote:
and this is the main reason i have figured it easier and better to widen the LIM than spacers and the problem shown in these pics, bolt angles, you could slot the LIM but that thick of spacers is pretty excessive as are the other problems, this is why i have settled on widening the manifold.

by cutting and sectioning the intake i can Tig in a 1/4 inch floor and retain the factory bolts...however i have been looking into "flipping" the LIM 180* to allow me to remove the internal coolant passages and run external plumbing while making the modified LIM simpler for fabrication.

i have all but given up on spacers...twice as many (possible) leak points and it's dificult without deleting a couple bolts on each sidewhich would put me further into a bad situation.

plus the injector isnt over an inch farther from the intake valve...

on a side note i have been looking into what seems to be a common issue on high valvespring pressure 3800's destroying the T chain tensioner/dampner whether it's a stock chain, single row roller (w balance shaft) and even the double row roller chains on the balance shaft deleted engines...
more info here:
http://forum.streetcommodores.com.au/sh ... ?t=8467662

yup since i have the SI/SII i figure i can get some space constraint measurements (as soon as my father brings back one of the digicams-he managed to take em both :roll: ) and we'll see if anyone knows of an off the shelf app that can be modified to work...

13.81 @ over 98 MPH! consistent 1.9s 60'!

Page 5 of 5 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5