It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Road Trip help
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:00 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I'm new here, my name is Janise.

I wasn't sure exactly what to put in for the subject, so Road Trip Help will have to do. :lol:

I need a little help, or some advice from you guys who know more then I do with a few things I need to know before I drive cross country.

I own a 1998 Oldsmobile, its a Delta 88 and it has 6 cylinders, which I'll be driving in when I travel cross country from Washington State to Chicago in about 3 weeks.

I've been trying to get everything ready for the trip and will be taking my car in to get it serviced and the tires checked before I leave, but I am a little worried about gas mileage and what to expect for how many miles I should get per gallon of gas, as the price of gas is climbing higher up just in the past 2 weeks. I expect it to go up atleast .10 more cents before I do get ready to leave.

I did a search at the forum here for others who posted about gas mileage, but for my specific needs, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So, I thought I would post and ask since all of you know more then I do.

So, this is what know as of right now:

The speed limit in the states I'll be driving through is 75 miles an hour, there will be a few counties I will be driving through where the speed limit is 60 miles an hour. I plan to drive with the cruise control on as often as I can so I am not having to fiddle around with the gas pedal.

I'll be driving about 12 hours the first day, and 11 hours the 2nd day, with a 2 hour drive on the third day. I'll also be driving back home as well, which will take me just as long to get back.

Total Miles on the first day is 913.10 miles
Total Miles on the Second day is 806.04 miles
Total Miles on the Third day is about 80 to a 100 miles

I was wondering if you guys would know about how much I would get for gas mileage. I found a website on the net some where, that said that for my car that it gets 26 miles per gallon, but I found a few posts at this forum where members posted that they got less gas mileage. I am looking for approximate numbers from those who would know from having had experience with cross country driving, or just highway driving.

I do know you get better gas mileage when driving on the highways then when driving around the city. I drive through the city and back home, which is a total of 10 miles and it takes a 4th of a tank of gas just to do that. So, I'm hoping that highway driving gas mileage will be much better then that.

Anyone have advice or know about the Gas mileage and what I should expect to get from it, I would very much appreciate any and all help on this.

Thank you.

Janise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:53 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Welcome to TOC

In my opinion, you should bring your car to a GM dealership... tell them you're going to be going on a long cross country trip, and ask them to give the car a complete check up.

A qualified service technician should know what to check before a car goes on a long trip. (tires, fluids, belts, hoses, tune up parts, etc, etc.)

I would advise against going to a discount oil change or tire place, a true GM dealership should have properly trained personnel that will know what to look for. There are many privately owned shops out there that have people who really know what there doing, but it can be hit or miss.

By going to a dealership it may cost you a little more initially, but you get what you pay for!

The better tune your car is in, the better mileage and performance you will get on your trip.

Also, in most situations, having the cruise control on, the windows up, and the A/C off will get you the best mileage on the highway. But if it's warm it may be worth it to have the A/C on even if it sacrifices a couple bucks in gas.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:05 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

oh and the faster you drive the worse the fuel economy gets
55-65 is better than 70-75

have a good trip and drive safely...i live in the NW burbs of chitown...specifically Hanover park IL, ya can hit me on email or pm if you may need any help out here...

James

13.81 @ over 98 MPH! consistent 1.9s 60'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:51 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

I have an '88 delta 88 and it gets GREAT gas milage on the highway. On the highway, I'll get in the neighborhood of 8-11 L/100km ( off the top of my head, dont ask MPG!!) but that is respectable mileage. In the city its much harder on gas.

I took a 5 hour one way road trip a few weekends ago, and burned just over 1/2 tank getting there. (really scientific numbers here, but you get the idea)

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:28 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
I took a 5 hour one way road trip a few weekends ago, and burned just over 1/2 tank getting there. (really scientific numbers here, but you get the idea)

That makes me happy to hear that.

And thank God for the weekends, but Friday was my last day at work, which I'll be starting a new job after I get back from Chicago.

I took all your suggestions and will be going to a GM shop Monday, and have made a list of what was posted in this topic from you guys for them to check over with the car and anything else that needs checked. I know tires is a big thing, but the tires are only a year old and I use my car to get me to and from work and a little shopping once a week for food. But I'm going to have them check the tires anyways, just to make sure.

I leave for my trip in 2 more weeks, I can't wait, but am so nervous.

Thank you all for your replies and if you guys can think of anything else, let me know and with me not working now, hopefully, I'll have more time to come online. I really do like this forum and will start posting when I have the time.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]