It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Read the posts below and decide: Should I change my ignition setup?
 Get a whole new HEI distributor  50%  50%  [ 3 ]
 Go for a Junkyard HEI distributor  33%  33%  [ 2 ]
 Get the kit that replaces the points and uses the stock distributor  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 You idiot.... leave the damn thing alone!  17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Post subject: Electronic ignition
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:47 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Hey Machismo.... I have points ignition as I'm sure you know, but people have been telling me to convert to Electronic ignition. I believe 73 was the LAST year Olds used points on all their engines, in 74 they started using a "pointless" (no pun intended, lol) ignition system on the 455.

anyway can you tell me some stuff about it like what is a good brand to use, about how much would this cost me, and what are the benefits (aside from less maintnence), ex. Will I actually be able to notice difference in how the engine runs between the electronic setup and a pair of clean, well adjusted points? Also what is involved with installing something like this?

it's not that I'm unhappy with my current setup... I just change the points once a year and that's about it.... sometimes if I feel ambitious I'll get out the dwell meter and fine tune them, but the whole process only takes a couple minutes anyway.

Just looking for some food for thought, thanks

Last edited by 73Delta88 on Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:42 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

MSD has some nice HEI distribuators...probably from $150-$250
Or go to a scrape-yard and get one out of a early 80's GM

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:43 pm 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

heyyyyyyyyyyyyy vato...... 8) lmfao

ok, heres the deal..if you woulda mentioned this about a week ago, i had a COMPLETE HEI setup for an Olds V8, with an accel coil, new cap and rotor, and plug wires, for $65... :P but anyways, back to your question...

1. brand to use: there are several companies that make electronic ignition systems for Olds, from basic to extreme. Pertronix makes an electronic ignition conversion that uses the stock distributor, but replaces the points with an electronic trigger. I personally havent used it, but i've heard mixed opinions on it from people. Price..around $100 for the kit.You can also use a standard HEI distributor for about 74 up to to the time when GM started using computer control on Olds...probably the late 70's...the newer distributors have electronic advance on them rather than vacuum, and are hard to work with.Price...maybe $50 complete from a local salvage yard, maybe less. Mallory, Accel, and other companies make complete distributors that work in an Olds engine, ranging from a couple hundred dollars for a complete new HEI to over $500 for a more race oriented dist. Keep in mind this is a whole complete brand new distributor tho, with all needed parts included, for the most part.

benefits: no maintenance, quicker starting, higher RPM response, electronic ignition systems tend to be "snappier" than points setups, due to the fact that they're quicker and more stable than a points setup.

installation: switching from points to HEI, you'll need the following... complete HEI distributor, 8mm plug wires for HEI equipped Olds, 9/16" wrench, some wiring stuff..... the HEI is a direct swap for the points distributor, but theres a couple things that need changed...the power wire running to your coil either has a ballast resistor inline, or the wire itself is a ballast resistor wire...what this means is that its filtered down to 9 volts, rather than a full 12 volts, to not wear or burn out the points as fast. What will need to be done, is that you'll either A. have to run a 12 volt wire from the keyed side of the ignition as the new power wire to the HEI distributor, or B. test the current power wire, find the resistor wire, cut it out, and replace it with a standard piece of wire. It sounds difficult but is very easy. Also, you should plan on switching plug wires, as the 7mm points stype wires are a little light duty for an HEI, not to mention that the cap terminals are different. And then the matter of pulling the distributor, after marking the position of the rotor, and body...and dropping in the HEI, hooking it up...and VOILA!!!! electronic ignition!! Its really not a big job, maybe for you it wouldnt make as much sense to swap as someone with a more performance oriented car..my vista still has a points distributor, and runs great, but in the cutlass, i wanted something that will take the higher RPM's better, because points become less effective at that RPM range, due to point bouncing, instability, and etc...

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:26 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

strokercutlass wrote:
if you woulda mentioned this about a week ago, i had a COMPLETE HEI setup for an Olds V8, with an accel coil, new cap and rotor, and plug wires, for $65

#-o

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:47 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

I just added the poll to see what you guys think.... go for it

(I picked the 4th option, lol)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:20 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

This winter if I have the money I'm getting a MSD HEI distributor, maybe a MSD box and Blaster coil if buget permits. I'm going to over kill my ignition system because I heard from a lot of people it will improve gas mileage and power

1972 Olds Cutlass- Parts car
www.cardomain.com/id/psycodiver69
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:26 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

strokercutlass wrote:
Pertronix makes an electronic ignition conversion that uses the stock distributor, but replaces the points with an electronic trigger. I personally havent used it, but i've heard mixed opinions on it from people. Price..around $100 for the kit.

I checked that out and it sounds pretty cool... Pertronix Ignitor II would you care to elaborate on the "mixed opinions" you've heard?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:39 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Hey...Machismo (lol),
What is this all about?
http://www.qkits.com/serv/qkits/vellema ... /K2543.asp

It's off of one of my favorite electronic kit places (you solder it together), just wondering, would it do anything for my car?

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:37 pm 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

Brando..that is specified for a points type distributor, so it wont work for you...

73...check out these threads on the pertronix ignition system...

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread. ... =pertronix

http://www.hotrodders.com/t11437.html

NOW...to the defense of this...keep in mind that there are over one MILLION pertronix units currently out there, and in 18 pages of search info on Google, i found only the second thread...i had remembered the one on oldspower from a while back...i would say for the price of it, if it were me and i wanted to convert, i'd spend the $$$, and keep the points and condenser in the glovebox, just as insurance. I was thinking about getting one for the Vista, but its not a priority as of yet...

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:04 am 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

strokercutlass wrote:
Brando..that is specified for a points type distributor, so it wont work for you...

Ahh yes, I see that now, I should learn how to read :lol:

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]