It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: finding cam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:56 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Ok, I possibly want to get another cam, but i dont know what i have already. its not stock, but its not too radical. I dont want to get to big of one, but i dont want to get one to close to the one i have. How do i tell which one it is. roughly. it doesnt have to be exact. just so i know what to get.

Check out My Ride @ http://members.sounddomain.com/je88royal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:39 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

There are some basic things that you need to start out with in order to make a decision. First is what kind of compression are you making, and what is the stall of your converter, and what rearend ratio you are running. If you go to big for the combo, then it will be a pig. If you go to small it will be a bytch. To find out what you have, it would have to be done by someone with experiece in camshafts. The lift needs to be measured, as well as duration. These are only the tip of the cam iceberg, and if it were me, I would ask myself if it was something that I needed to do to make the car run better. If you are content now, I wouldnt mess with it. Just my 2 cents.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:55 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

that 2 cents is worth alot.

I need some more High end Power. once i get about in the higher RPMs it really dogs down. after about 4500 shes spent.

ill work with shifting at different times and see.

Im getting a different TC in it anyways this winter/spring to give me a better take off.

I have a posi 3.73 rear end in it.

And compression im not sure about. most likely right now about 9.5:1 it doesnt sound to high. How would i fine the CR. Calculate it?

Im gunna race this car, so if it makes it faster, therfore it makes it run better;). I need this power.

cam shafts are pretty cheap so i can play around with them. im thinkin that this cam might possibly be a 268. so then i could go up just a tad like a 274 or 280. 280 is pretty radical, but, idk without testing it what it would do.

i would just like to get it as close as possible. this is a pretty technical area for the combinations.

its alright off the line, just at the hige end it looses its power, well feels like it.

im hittin like 85 in the quarter it should be more like 95-100.

im going to dyno it to see where it is. so i see what mods help it the most and what take away. so i wont do anything untill the dyno, but i want to get this figured out so i go the right way, not the wrong.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:18 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

I would choose your TC, and then give those specs to a cam grinder so you can have the proper cam ground. It will be somewhat more expensive, but it will be well worth it.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:41 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

ok

thanks

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]