It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Im a baby!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:34 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

OK, so ive takin in the fact that im still a grasshopper in this world. So im going to get some stuff down that im not srue one, and that is mostly the little numbers and stuff. What is up with the rocker ratios? Do you have to put the same ratio on taht was on before, or does it have to line with your cam. If not what does a 1.5:1 have vs 1.7:1? What are the pros and cons. That is my first question. I will post many more. Please, help, i need it!!!

Check out My Ride @ http://members.sounddomain.com/je88royal

Post subject: Re: Im a baby!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:30 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi c_creations, hello all,

Yet another thread on exactly the same subject.

The cam is ground to work with a particular rocker ratio. The rocker ratio is determined by many factors in the engine design.

1.6 works best with the head/valve configuration used on your Olds. It's why it came that way.

If 1.7s were worth considering, I would have advised you to use them on your 307 in this this thread.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:50 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

im not talking for any particular engine. and if i was it would be my 350 sbo. I was looking for a general question my goodness can i get an answer. if i wondered about a particular engine i would have asked. re read the question!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:34 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

c_creations wrote:
im not talking for any particular engine. and if i was it would be my 350 sbo. I was looking for a general question my goodness can i get an answer. if i wondered about a particular engine i would have asked. re read the question!

88 coupe wrote:
Hi c_creations, hello all,

Yet another thread on exactly the same subject.

The cam is ground to work with a particular rocker ratio. The rocker ratio is determined by many factors in the engine design.

1.6 works best with the head/valve configuration used on your Olds. It's why it came that way.

If 1.7s were worth considering, I would have advised you to use them on your 307 in this this thread.

Regards, Norm

Re read the answer! 1.6 works best with Olds stuff. Thats why it came that way.

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:14 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi c_creations, andrewk, all,

c_creations wrote:
........ I was looking for a general question my goodness can i get an answer ..........
88 Coupe wrote:
The cam is ground to work with a particular rocker ratio. The rocker ratio is determined by many factors in the engine design .........

What part do you not understand?

c_creations wrote:
......... re read the question!

Reread the answer.

If you don't understand the answer, ask for clarification.

It's called a discussion.

Discussion leads to a better understanding of the subject.

It's what this forum is about.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:38 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

c_creations wrote:
What is up with the rocker ratios? Do you have to put the same ratio on taht was on before, or does it have to line with your cam.

88 Coupe wrote:

c_creations wrote:
I was looking for a general question my goodness can i get an answer.

Seems plain enough. Answer fits question. Cam grind depends on rocker ratio. Rocker ratio depends on engine design.

Sooooo...no you don't have to put the same ratio on but it may cause serious problems because the engine was designed to use a particular one and the cam was ground to match a particular one. At best, valve opening will be less than optimal. At worst, pistons will be kissing valves. And there's a lot in between including bent pushrods, collapsed lifters, and such.

Now...Since this is The Oldsmobile Connection and you are in the Performance area which is subtitled "Talk about exhaust, engine, brakes, suspension upgrades, and more for Oldsmobiles", why in the hell wouldn't the knowledgable Oldsmobile posters here think you are asking a question about an Oldsmobile engine and qualify the answers to match specs of an Oldsmobile? :confused:

C.J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:12 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi c_creations, all,

Took some time to try to get it right this time.

Quote:
im not talking for any particular engine ..........

I'm not either.

The information I posted here, (and AFAIK, on all your 307 and 350 threads) does not apply to Olds only. Since all four stroke cycle engines are nothing but air pumps, there is little that only applies to one engine design.

A better way to start a thread, might be to make your question more specific. Here are some examples to get you started.

If you do not know what it is, then ask: "What is it?"
If you do not know what it does, then ask: "What does it do?"
If you do not know how it works, then ask: "How does it work?"
If you do not know whether it does what it's supposed to do, then ask: Is it worth the money?
If someone told you something and you wonder if he has a clue, then ask: Did this guy tell me right, or was he just passing on the BS he heard from someone else?

BTW: Some of the more common BS has been around for more than two generations.

Anytime an answer is not clear, ask about the part you don't understand.

Work with us, so we can work with you.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:10 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

88 Coupe wrote:

...AFAIK...

What does this mean?

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:08 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

AFAIK, it means "As Far As I Know".... :D

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:36 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

:mrgreen: Makes sense now!! :thumbup: Thanks!

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:13 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

So like, I never got a good answer because no one knows how to read a question correctly and how to answer correctly. At least none that responded to this thread. So now, by my own research i know that a rocker ratio takes the lift and times it by the ratio to get Gross Lift. Bigger ratio makes the cam look bigger. But since there is a factor of lash its never a Set 1.6. more like a 1.54. That is where they need to be set equally to make them all the same and make it run the smoothest.

And im not getting into what you have to watch for and stuff like that when you put bigger ratios on. Im just answering the thread myself cause no one else did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:44 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

c_creations wrote:
What is up with the rocker ratios? Do you have to put the same ratio on taht was on before, or does it have to line with your cam. If not what does a 1.5:1 have vs 1.7:1? What are the pros and cons. That is my first question.

So, here we have your question. Here's the response.

Quote:

Here's the second response.

Quote:
Seems plain enough. Answer fits question. Cam grind depends on rocker ratio. Rocker ratio depends on engine design.

Sooooo...no you don't have to put the same ratio on but it may cause serious problems because the engine was designed to use a particular one and the cam was ground to match a particular one. At best, valve opening will be less than optimal. At worst, pistons will be kissing valves. And there's a lot in between including bent pushrods, collapsed lifters, and such.

Now...Since this is The Oldsmobile Connection and you are in the Performance area which is subtitled "Talk about exhaust, engine, brakes, suspension upgrades, and more for Oldsmobiles", why in the hell wouldn't the knowledgable Oldsmobile posters here think you are asking a question about an Oldsmobile engine and qualify the answers to match specs of an Oldsmobile?

Here you got what they are, and some pros and cons. If you werent sure, why didnt you ask for clarification?

Quote:
So like, I never got a good answer because no one knows how to read a question correctly and how to answer correctly. At least none that responded to this thread. So now, by my own research i know that a rocker ratio takes the lift and times it by the ratio to get Gross Lift. Bigger ratio makes the cam look bigger. But since there is a factor of lash its never a Set 1.6. more like a 1.54. That is where they need to be set equally to make them all the same and make it run the smoothest.

And im not getting into what you have to watch for and stuff like that when you put bigger ratios on. Im just answering the thread myself cause no one else did.

If the answer was so damned easy to find, why did you ask the question? Anybody can google it, but it wont make you understand it.

Your 'answer' is only half there. Im guessing you dont know what to watch for when you alter the rocker ratio, since you 'arent getting into it'. Thats about like saying 'My VTEC didnt kick in' or 'I forgot to turn on the NOSS'

I can read a question correctly, and I can post in a polite and non offending way. You should work on that. If you want help, dont act like you dont need it. The title to this thread is correct. You are.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:03 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

c_creations wrote:
So like, I never got a good answer because no one knows how to read a question correctly and how to answer correctly. ........

Are you sure you know how to ask a question correctly?

88 Coupe wrote:
........ If you do not know what it is, then ask: "What is it?"
If you do not know what it does, then ask: "What does it do?"
If you do not know how it works, then ask: "How does it work?"
If you do not know whether it does what it's supposed to do, then ask: Is it worth the money?
If someone told you something and you wonder if he has a clue, then ask: Did this guy tell me right, or was he just passing on the BS he heard from someone else?

BTW: Some of the more common BS has been around for more than two generations.

Anytime an answer is not clear, ask about the part you don't understand.

Work with us, so we can work with you.

You Damned sure don't know how to read an answer.

Would you have prefered the following replies?

c_creations wrote:
........ What is up with the rocker ratios? ........

They are "up" about the same amount of time as they are "down"

c_creations wrote:
........ Do you have to put the same ratio on that was on before ........

No.

c_creations wrote:
........ or does it have to line with your cam ........

No

c_creations wrote:
........ If not what does a 1.5:1 have vs 1.7:1? ........

Lower lift?

c_creations wrote:
........ What are the pros and cons ........

Unless a particular application is being discussed, there are none.

Now, didn't you get more information from the original answers?

c_creations wrote:
........ Bigger ratio makes the cam look bigger. But since there is a factor of lash its never a Set 1.6. more like a 1.54. That is where they need to be set equally to make them all the same and make it run the smoothest ........

Like much information on the internet, it's not even close.

Your statement does, however, tell me what your original question was. I suggest you start a new thread titled "High lift rockers" and ask something like "How do high lift rocker arms work?" and "Would it be worth putting them in my 307 or, in my 355, and why, or why not?". Answers will apply to any OHV pushrod engine, including your 355, and, the Series I and II 3800s.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:37 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

So...
i guess we know who the smartest man on earth is when it comes to only the small topic of everything. im at least glad that that part is clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:55 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

c_creations wrote:
So...
i guess we know who the smartest man on earth is when it comes to only the small topic of everything. im at least glad that that part is clear.

So...
i guess we know who isnt getting any help for stuff he/she doesnt know about anymore when it comes to the small topic of everything. im at least glad that that part is clear.

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next