It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:24 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Finally bought some peices for my intake. Bought a cone filter, and some tubing and such, and I had a chance to peice it together. Its definately not done yet, as I still have to drill a hole, and mount that sensor in my intake (may as well...)

First thing I noticed when I started it up cold was a loud hissing of air, but that quiets down after a couple minutes of running. When I give the gas short taps, the car seems to respond quicker. And running throttle wide open, it roars like a tiger. not sure if I like that or not yet... But it definately made a difference in my power.

So, after I get all my pipes right, and sensors mounted, we'll see how it works. I plan to plumb it right up behind my head light, for cold air intake. might make a moisture baffle or something so the filter lasts longer.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:57 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Sounds awesome! I can say with some certainty that the intake has chopped at least a 1/3 of a second off my 0-60 time, and probably gives about a 10-15hp improvement. It also pulls harder across the entire rpm range. You are right though, it really growls doesn't it! Don't worry, you'll get used to it. It reminds me a lot of the sound of the Aurora 4.0 I once had, and when I pass people, I'm sure they're shocked at the way the car takes off. I think your decision to put the sensor in the intake is a wise one, although the other way seems to work pretty good too. I'm probably going to do that pretty soon just to be on the safe side in the long run.

Next step...rings and 1.6:1 roller tip rockers? We'll see, I suppose.

DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:44 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

What kind of data does that sensor provide the ECM with? Is it temperature or pressure? I think i'm going to drill & tap a hole a couple inches behind the filter (as closely mimicking GMs setup as possible). I do notice that with that sensor not in the intake, that until it warms up, i have a bad hesitation. That wont do. I think i'll try my idea, and it its no better, I'll install the resistor.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:25 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

it measures temperature. once you drill a hole and put it in the pipe it should work fine.

hey DKnight, not to bust your balls too much but a 10-15 hp improvement sounds a bit on the high side.

"When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come, with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun?" The Clash
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:38 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

You haven't tried the resistor yet? I can tell you that with no input, that IAT sensor (intake air temperature) will cause problems. It needs either a fake or a real input. At 4.7k ohms it simulates a 57* reading. The higher the resistance, the colder the air input that it simulates. For your climate, I'd get at least an 8 or 10k resistor. Drilling the hole and reinstalling the sensor in your new intake is best, but the resistor will at least keep it running good, as opposed to no IAT input.

The 10-15hp increase that I claim is based on a couple factors. 1. The stock boxes are so restrictive it's not funny; it has two 90* bends. That makes significant velocity next to impossible to achieve, while mine is straight and smooth, making for maximum velocity. For low rpms especially, velocity makes the difference. Also, with a small throttle body such as we have, moving mass amounts of air is impossible unless it moves at a high velocity.

The other side of my claim is the 1/3 second it consistantly takes off my 0-60 time. I measure with a stopwatch, yes, but the time difference is consistent, and the average is at least .33 seconds better with the intake. Of course, having a straight through catco and performance muffler help the intake work much better than an intake alone. Doesn't do much good to have the intake free and still have a restrictive exhaust. Of course, other than my non-existant catco and my muffler, the exhaust is stock 2 1/4". Just upgrading with a 2 1/2" catback would make a big difference. Maybe I could go with dual outlets like 88delta88. Hmmm...

The hp and torque increase is also all across the rpm band, and at partial throttle. My fuel consumption has not suffered. If anything, it has gotten better, due the tranny having more torque available to stay in a higher gear for longer on hills/etc.

DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:57 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

DK, i've got the sensor still plugged in, but its taped to the side of my cone filter, at the back. I knew the car would run like shit without anything connected, so i figured this will at least simulate. I think though, that air being sucked through the intake is slightly cooler than the air in the engine compartment, and that is why i am getting hesitation.

It'll likely be the weekend before I can work on it again, but I will get it done sooner or later.

Also, DK, if you'd like to see a nicer version of my exhaust in 2 1/2 inch, take a look at 86delta's cardomain site... He was the first one with dual outlets, and he actually gave me the idea for mine.

I think the filter is going to stay for good, it just makes the biggest difference! I am not going to make any sort of estimate to how much of a difference, but it is definately noticeable. And I've grown quite fond of the sound it produces under heavy accelleration. I think everyone wiith the 3.8l should give it a shot if nothing else... Its so easy to do!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:12 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

actually my exhaust is 2 1/4. stock front pipe and the tailpipes are 2 1/4 but they are stretched at the ends to fit the 2 1/2 Flowmaster muffler. couldn't find any shops that did 2 1/2 or else i would have gotten a new pipe from the cat back.

"When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come, with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun?" The Clash
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:35 pm 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

First thing I noticed when I started it up cold was a loud hissing of air, but that quiets down after a couple minutes of running.

88, what you're hearing is the sound of the IAC motor bypassing air to keep the idle up till the car warms up. With the stock air box assembly removed, it doesn't surprise me that its alot more noticeable...lol

8-[ :help: "OH SHIT!! Someone stuck a REALLY BIG snake in my intake manifold!!!!!" :help: 8-[ :laughing:

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:54 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

I thought you'd all laugh at me, but I really DID think there was a snake in there! :-) I'm just glad he was friendly.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:24 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

once a way is figured out to do that mod without the noise, i would consider it. i just hate the sound of a huge vacume leak.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:58 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Yes, it is a bit annoying, but even with really cold temperatures, it will only make that noise for 2 or 3 minutes, then it completely stops. After that, the only sound it makes is when you hammer the throttle. I like it... But if we ever find out how to quiet the startup hissing sound, i'll let you know.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:07 pm 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

"I thought you'd all laugh at me, but I really DID think there was a snake in there! I'm just glad he was friendly."

:shock: AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Dude, you just MAKE MY WHOLE DAY!!!!!!!

I'm sorry..I really don't mean to laugh, but you HAVE to see the humor in this..... :laughing: and remember....

we're not laughing AT you.....
we're laughing WITH YOU!!!!!! :wink: :wink:

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:37 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Stroker, I am glad you found that funny... Now that I read it over three or four times, I see that I've completely stuck my foot in my mouth. Oh well I'm glad someone found it amusing! :-)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:51 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Guys, I've finished my cold air intake.

Its not a velocity stack, but it works AWESOME.

This intake business is just like building a speaker box, you must almost "tune" it to your engine. The first version had a cone filter right off the MAF; this was the most direct, free flowing setup I could make with what I had.

This worked out a fair increase in wide open throttle power, but the engine kind of hesitated and didnt run perfect across the power band. The sound it made was loud, raspy, and strong.

I finished the rest of the COLD air intake this weekend. I used flex tubing 2.75" dia from the MAF to the cone filter, which I routed up right behind my driver headlight. There are 2 slight curves in my tubing, nothing overly restrictive, but moreso than the first setup.

The first thing I noticed, was a major boost in throttle response, and my low end torque is AMAZING now. Absolutely no hesitation anywhere in the powerband, which is even better than the stock airbox! The sound it makes now is much deeper, and smoother than the first version.

I am quite content with this setup, and it works wonders over my first attempt. I would definately recommend this to all you 88 owners. I'll get some pictures up very soon.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:31 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

A few reasons the first setup didn't work as well as the second:

1. It was directly over top of the exhaust header, and the warm air rose straight up into to the filter.

2. The filter, being directly attached to the metal intake, got pretty hot, which further heated the air.

3. While the overall volume of air taken in increased with the first setup, the mass of air only increased slightly, because the velocity was low. The longer path between the filter and the throttle body made for a higher velocity, and that always makes more torque. Also, you were taking in colder air, as you said.

I opted for a slightly less cool intake charge in favor of a straight intake chute for maximum velocity, and also to keep the MAF readings accurate. I presently don't have my MAF screen in place (its really not a screen, but an air straightener), but I'm gonna get one and put it back in. At present, I'm still running a little lean at WOT. The fuel pump tested fine. I'm thinking the MAF can't pick up the extra air without the screen in place. If the screen doesn't fix it, I'll have to check on fuel pressure regulators. Just think how much extra air that engine must be getting! Those stock airboxes sure are restrictive.

DK

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next