It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Series II heads.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:32 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I wonder if it's possible to put Series II heads on a series I. Why would I want to do that? I don't know if I would. I just wonder if it's possible.

It would be easier to just get the roller rockers and spring setup from the Series II. I asked a guy at a junkyard if I could take the rockers off one of his Series II motors. He said no. I also wonder if a Series II cam would fit. If I'm correct, the Series II cam is more aggressive. I also think a custom made intake manifold would make a great difference. Wouldn't it be great if there were lots of aftermarket parts?

DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:39 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I believe your going to use the intake too so it will all fit

1972 Olds Cutlass- Parts car
www.cardomain.com/id/psycodiver69
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:50 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I think it would be great to have a killer motor built that would appear as a stock Series I. Just imagine higher compression, more valve lift, a higher redline, etc...and no one would have to know until it was too late!

Heh, I could just see some Mustang drivers with very confused looks on their faces.

There's a lot of work that could be done to our Series I motors, it would just have to be innovative and creative. The potential is pretty amazing though.

The transmission would have to be better. They're famously weak. I guess I just love power.

A well hidden NOS bottle would go a long way too...

DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:37 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

DK,

Domestic Performance is working on series 1 option and so far we have rocker and cam options as well as valves and yes head port and polish options.

Our site has fallen out of control and we had to freeze the options for now. There will be a redoing of the site and the new product will show up.

It is possible to gain in the 500hp range with a SC series 1 and more with NOS or a turbo.

Basicly it comes down to cost.

Ty
Domestic Performance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:21 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Speedy, what would you recommend for really changing the attitude of a Series I 3800? By that I mean 300+hp. What would it take in your opinion? Would a tranny swap be absolutely necessary to handle it?

My opinion is that forced induction is a must. How much do you know about the engine internals of the Series I vs. the Series II? How much boost do you think the motor could handle? How would the EFI system compensate? Surely, it would require a different MAF sensor. Please answer as many questions as you can.

DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:00 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The transaxle can actually handle quite a bit of power and if you get a slightly upgraded stock transaxle you could handle 300hp with careful driving.

For serious "i don’t want to have to think about my transaxle" it will require a specialized rebuild and that does cost more money.

Ther are many options to compensate for the maf and a computer mod is also necessary. Currently the computer mod is already available and yes anything can be done within the limits of the car. We can even throw out the maf and use a reprogrammed maped computer system.

How much boost do you want. I can get serious parts for this engine to compensate for as much boost as you want.

In the real budget word get a stock SC block and you should not have any problems with 400 odd HP.

Actual PSI depends on the system you set up and other options (nitrous).

Series 2 and series 1 are both capable of very serious HP and the lack of market for the series 1 is the reason it has not been offered solutions.

By the way the 400+ hp is possible with the SC from the stock 94-95 series 1 engine. A turbo can put out quite a bit more. You can swap 94-95 SC and TB on to a 92 or 93 block.

These HP numbers are at 6000RPM

The end result with a turbo’d series 1 (odd fire) is you can get similar hp and performance results as acquired out of a GN even fire 3.8l

Now for specifics

Heads:

Roller rockers with plates-- Available for all years of series 1
Bigger valves-- also available for all series 1 years
Cam regrinds or full billet cam from stock.
Port polish and grind is easy and available for the 3.8 series 1 heads.
Port and polish the upper & lower intake manifold. If you go with a turbo use a lower intake from a SC and we offer a custom sheet metal upper intake if you wish.

The lower end needs to be in good shape and a properly rebuilt low end needs to be used for a turbo.
For serious 400+ hp a rebuilt lower end with many new parts will be needed. We offer these as well.

Soon all this will be added to our shop.

Ty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:35 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Ok, it all sounds great so far. Here's the only real problem. My '88 Series I motor and tranny have 323k miles on them. Granted, it still runs very smoothly, makes good power, and uses very little oil. The oil has been changed every 3k miles, and the tranny serviced on time also. I use Trick Shift fluid in it.

My question is: How much power do you think it could handle now, or would you care to make a guess?

How does your performance chip compare with Superchip and Jet Chip, and Hypertech, etc...? It's quite a bit pricier than any of them. Will the price be coming down any time?

DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:36 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Our chip has no limits.. The "other" shops have a generic system set up for general use. Our chip is fully custom and we actually can change any part needed. The 'other" companies primarily just change a few points. I will share a snippet of a E-mail from a customer.

" The problem I'm having is with high shift points and incorrect TCC lockup verification. I have been working/talking with Superchips about the issues, but would like to talk to you about them. There are many more details that I need to explain to you and it would be best over the phone. What would be the charge for a custom chip/recalibration? Do I need to supply you with a chip? What is the price difference if I do or don't supply a chip? _____ happened to mention that you are or were working on a ratio change software issue and that you asked if he knew anyone who needed some work done."

This person had talked with superchips many times and actually had the chip sent back half a dozen times. In the end the cost was considerably higher than if they just had done it right the first time. Not his fault though he had no idea that this simple task would turn into such a big deal.

The price we charge is for the ability to really modify the computer to match real mods. "Other" companies primarily offer enhancement for a stock system. Usually not very comprehensive but the chips sell.

Ty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:59 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

do you have anything for the 3300 engine, like a chip?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:00 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I am fairly sure the 3300 are covered but what i need to be 100% sure of your car is your vin number and the code off the chip. With this info we can be 100% sure you are given all the information specifically pertinent to your car.

Ty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:22 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

DKnight wrote:
I think it would be great to have a killer motor built that would appear as a stock Series I. Just imagine higher compression, more valve lift, a higher redline, etc...and no one would have to know until it was too late!

Heh, I could just see some Mustang drivers with very confused looks on their faces.

Hahaha, Don't quite know about that one!! But seriously - Heads and Cam on pushrod engines really do make a pretty big difference. Definitely P&P the new heads while you're at it though. You'll probably also have to change the timing due to the increased compression ratio from the new heads, and start putting in a little bit higher grade gasoline than 87 octane at the pump.8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:26 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Actually there is cam and valves available for the series 1 as well as heads.

DP is just slow as a snail lately. We haven’t posted a lot of new “stuffâ€

Post subject: Re: Series II heads.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:13 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

will series II roller trunion rockers work on series 1 heads?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:45 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

You need to talk to member Turbocharged400sbc here on the board. He has done extensive work with the Series I and II and combinations of both- I am sure he can help you out. He has made a considerable number of posts about it on the board, so a search could help you there.

Holy crap this is an old thread...

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:04 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

the heads are in fact interchangeable for facts sake but the cam phasing inseries 1, and 2 engines are difrrent making a head swap compleltey usless, IMO do it right get rockers and/or a cam, port and polish

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next