All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 5 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:02 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

88 Coupe wrote:
DrRansom442 wrote:
........ A/C, the radio, the backseat, carpet, any emissions crap ........ fiberglass replacement parts, lighter front suspension, relocation of weight (i.e. battery to the trunk) ........

My mistake, I didn't notice he was asking how to build a race car.

Regards, Norm

I dont know that he really is. Sounds like he wants a faster driver to me. I agree with Ransom though, drive the 77 and get something lighter to race. It would be much better in the long run.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: 77 Cutlass
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:32 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thanks everyone for the tips. I apprecate it. And I wasn't trying to be rude earlier just persistent. now that we are on the same page we are OLDSRIGHT!!! I really need that first burst from 0-35 mph range. I don't want a fullblown race car. i want people to look at it and see all of the luxury a 77 Cutlass brought, but then when I pull away from the light they are like damn!!! It gets respect from 45mph on through.

Post subject: Re: little more speed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:39 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

88 Coupe wrote:
Hi bigdog, hello everyone,

Quote:
........ I have a 77 Cutlass ........

Tell us about it.
Is the carb 2 or 4 barrels?
Is the engine/powertrain original and/or is it up to handling more power?

Quote:
........ would love more horses from bolt ons ........

How much are you looking for? Not much bang for the buck from just bolt ons.
What's your budget?
What's your skill/experience level?
What will you use the car for, and what are your long term plans for it?
Since every modification is a trade off, how much comfort/driveability are you willing to give up for more power?

Your answers to the above questions will help provide the path to the most gain for the least cash.

Best start, is a standard tune up, along with a compression test.

Quote:
........ need more launch because it takes awhile to get the weight moving ........

Best way is to change to lower rear end gears. What ratio depends on your answers to the above questions.

Regards, Norm

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:37 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

bigdog wrote:
........ I wasn't trying to be rude earlier just persistent .........

No problem with your intent. Persistence in this type venue can be only be perceived as rude.

88 Coupe wrote:
Best way is to change to lower rear end gears. What ratio depends on your answers to the above questions.

Still no problem with your intent. It is also seen as rude, in any medium, to continue to ask the same question after it's been answered several times.

bigdog wrote:
........ I don't want a fullblown race car ........

I already assumed a supercharged race engine was not in your budget.

Full = race engine.
Blown = Supercharged.
Full Blown = Supercharged race engine.

andrewk wrote:
I dont know that he really is ......... I agree with Ransom ........

From his original post, we all know he's not. DrRansom442s post would apply to one who is, and, in this case it only confuses the issue.

88 Coupe wrote:
Pretty much everyone knows it to be a fact. Not many know how. Please tell us how he should go about it.

Should have added: "and how would it apply to this thread?". My bad.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: little more speed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:20 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi bigdog, all,

Back to business.

First step is still a complete tune up (Using OEM quality parts), and including a compression test.

I reread the thread, and you did answer some of my questions. You still have not answered the important ones.

88 Coupe wrote:
What's your budget?
What's your skill/experience level?
What will you use the car for, and what are your long term plans for it?
Since every modification is a trade off, how much comfort/driveability are you willing to give up for more power?

Your answers to the above questions will help provide the path to the most gain for the least cash........

bigdog wrote:
........ I really need that first burst from 0-35 mph range ........

How much burst?

The Cutlass in my sig, is a 350/350 4 barrel. If I chose to improve my 0 to 30 times, I would lower the rear end ratio. My choice will be different than than yours, based on my own answers to the same questions.

Six cars in my sig have different ratios and all, except the Cutlass, are geared perfectly for my intended use.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:02 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

My budget is o.k. just not $1000's and $1000's. i want to drive it comfortably and everyday if I have to. Someone mentioned something about torque converter and gears. If so what type of each would be good. I have experience in street racing , just Chevy camaro's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:21 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

"From his original post, we all know he's not. DrRansom442s post would apply to one who is, and, in this case it only confuses the issue"

personally I'd ahve to disagree, he wants to keep the car as original as possible from my understanding and well a 77 has 2 strikes against it, its heavy its not aerodynamic. My advice works for making ANY car faster...if he wants to maintain an all steal body with a full interior, then to go faster, he's needs to look into spending some $ to go fast

81 Cutlass Calais 260/350 (purchased Nov 04)
never thought I'd say "I miss the power of a 307"
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:45 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well i do agree with it being heavy. But damn she gets down the road after i am out of the block. So i know if I go some more launch i would be hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:30 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi All,

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ My advice works for making ANY car faster ........

Can't argue with that. However, one can argue what is or is not practical for a given application.

I remember, one of the car mags put a stock '70s Cadillac into the 11s using nothing but a sawzall and air chisel. They proved your point, but they also proved mine.

To achieve the same gain as the combo I advised below, he might have to remove as much as 800 pounds. Need I say more?

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ its heavy its not aerodynamic ........ to go faster, he's needs to look into spending some $ ........

And my Coupes are not? If you think I have a lot of cash in them, you've been reading ROP too much.

Knowledge and experience are a great substitute for writing checks.

bigdog wrote:
........ have experience in street racing , just Chevy camaro's.

Now I understand what you want to do. Organized street racing is way different than a Dragstrip, although many Pros do their tuning at T&T sessions.

Use the same combination of XXXX, XXXX, and XXXX you used in your Camaro. It's been the choice of street racers at your level for 40 plus years. Should be under $1200, including labor, if you have it done.

If you don't do all three at once, do XXXX first.

Curious. With your experience, why would you ask for performance advice from a message board?

Regards, Norm

EDIT: Misunderstood his street racing reply, to mean "organized" street racing. Holding back numbers, pending more info from bigdog.

Last edited by 88 Coupe on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:16 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
........ THIS THREAD IS LOCKED!!!
(you already have a thread going, why do you want 2 for the same topic?)

Wasn't it 4 threads on the same topic?

Now I'm done.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:44 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

88 Coupe wrote:
Wasn't it 4 threads on the same topic?

Plus this one = 5

bigdog, in case you missed it in three of your previous threads, I'll try one last time
73Delta88 wrote:
Please don't start any new topics dealing with this same issue

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:55 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

"And my Coupes are not? If you think I have a lot of cash in them, you've been reading ROP too much. Knowledge and experience are a great substitute for writing checks"

I am not trying to start an arguement for one, but comeon a race ready 50 Olds, there is a guy around here goes by the name "Tinker" he also has a "low-buck" all-steel car (I think his is a forty-eight)....I believe Tink said his car back halved, 6pt bar has a fighting weight of under 3000 pounds with nothing but a barely breathed on single 4 barrel 455 .060" over runs solid 11s. A 77 Cutlass has to be close to 4000 lbs minus driver, while yes stripping the car to nothing may not be practical for everyday use, if he is trying to go low-buck weight loss is his best bet....otherwise that maybe 200 horsepower smogger engine, is going to need some attention. I do 100% agree if he hopes to get anywhere at any speed, gears need to be addressed, I highly doubt the car has better than 3.08:1 gears...a mid gear like a 3:42:1 would be a good upgrade, if he considers an overdrive trans 3:73:1 would be VERY feesible and not ruin highway gas mileage, but if you do nothing more then gears and tires, I think you will find freeway cruising is going to be seriously compromised. figure out what weight you can shed, swap in some gears, make sure you have some decent performance tires and think about some low-buck engine upgrades...in no time you will see vast improvements

81 Cutlass Calais 260/350 (purchased Nov 04)
never thought I'd say "I miss the power of a 307"
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:39 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ I am not trying to start an arguement ........

It's called a discussion, and its what forums/message boards are all about. You made a generalized statement, and we're interested in making it more specific to bigdogs needs.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ but come on, a race ready 50 Olds ........

Two near stock, drive anywhere, cruisers. I don't do race cars.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ there is a guy around here goes by the name "Tinker" he also has a "low-buck" all-steel car (I think his is a forty-eight)....I believe Tink said his car back halved, 6pt bar has a fighting weight of under 3000 pounds with nothing but a barely breathed on single 4 barrel 455 .060" over runs solid 11s .........

What do he and his car have to do with this thread? What's your point?

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ he also has ........

My coupes weigh just under 4000# each, have stock suspensions front and rear, and run on unleaded pump gas. If they weighed 3000# they would run high 10s, and still drive anywhere. Looks like you're trying to compare apples and oranges. If not, what's your point?

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ 6pt bar ........

Not in any of my cars. First thing I did was cut the cage out of my Red Coupe. I have the time slip, so I don't need to return to the strip.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ A 77 Cutlass has to be close to 4000 lbs minus driver ........

What a coincidence. About the same as my Coupes.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ while yes stripping the car to nothing may not be practical for everyday use, if he is trying to go low-buck weight loss is his best bet........

He's street racing. If it doesn't look stock, he won't get his bets covered, and he won't make any money. How much weight do you think he can lose without it looking obvious?

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ otherwise that maybe 200 horsepower smogger engine, is going to need some attention........

Do I sense, you have something against emissions equipment?

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ I highly doubt the car has better than 3.08:1 gears........

2.4 or 2.6 would be a better guess, but what do I know?

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ a mid gear like a 3:42:1 would be a good upgrade, if he considers an overdrive trans 3:73:1 would be VERY feesible and not ruin highway gas mileage, but if you do nothing more then gears and tires, I think you will find freeway cruising is going to be seriously compromised........

He wants to participate in street racing competion, not Grand Touring.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ figure out what weight you can shed, swap in some gears, make sure you have some decent performance tires and think about some low-buck engine upgrades...in no time you will see vast improvements

Since his street racing experience is with Camaros, and he's new to Olds, he asked for specifics. How and what to shed? What gear ratio? What tires? What engine upgrades?

I'm also curious, because I've never done a '77 Cutlass. :lol:

Regards, Norm

Last edited by 88 Coupe on Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:44 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

73Delta88 wrote:
Plus this one = 5 ........

Thanks, I didn't see this one.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:08 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thanks out to all who are trying to help me. i am new to the Olds game and am just trying to feel my way. I joined the Olds Connection to help me with this. Didn't know that I was actually annoying some people(73 Delta 88). Thanks again to all who are trying to help me.

Page 2 of 5 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next