It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: more power for my 307
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:43 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

okay, i am just lazy. don't wanna go through all the posts to see if somebody has found the same problem as me..

here is the case, my car has a 307. stock Hp rate: 140 hp. now, this is just plain ridiculous. the car is, what, 3400-3500 pounds? so, i want that to change without swapping the engine..

so, here is what i want to know...
has ANYBODY here did some engine work on a 307? ifso, what did u do? and what did the car perform after that?

i looked on summit racing for some stuff, and there are some cams for a 307 and intake and stuff, but i dunno if that would fit the 307 olds, since there is a chevy 307 also..

if anybody could give me some decent tips, i would greatly appreciate it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:47 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

I would use the search function and look at what others have done. IMO, for the money you will spend, you are much better off putting in a 350 or 403, but that is your choice.

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:44 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Highway_star wrote:
okay, i am just lazy. don't wanna go through all the posts to see if somebody has found the same problem as me .........

Too lazy to do your own research?

Quote:
........ i want that to change without swapping the engine ........

Not a problem.

Quote:
........ has anybody here did some engine work on a 307? ........

Not a 307 that I know about, but it's a SBO, same principles apply to any engine.

Quote:
........ i looked on summit racing ........

Not the best place to shop.

Quote:
......... since there is a chevy 307 also ........

307 Chev = 283 block with a 327 crank. No parts interchange with 307 Olds.

Quote:
........ if anybody could give me some decent tips, i would greatly appreciate it..

andrewk already did. Lots of good information to be had there.

If you have a fat checkbook and still want to make a 307 run with 350s, it's not hard. If you want to bolt on some aftermarket parts and do the same, forget it.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:35 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

wow, this is the kind of answer i didn't expect!

look i did a search, but found so much topics regarding the 307 i didn't want to go through them, since i have more things to do then sit behind a computerscreen.

can somebody tell me what a SBO is? (small block olds?)

summit racing might not be the best place to shop, but i am a friggen noob when it comes to getting the engine more lively. also, here in Holland there arent ANY speedshops in my area. so, please forgive my mistake there.

307 chevy is indeed not interchangeable with olds, i knew that one already. BUT since i went lookin for parts on summit, and did a "test"on their site to see if those parts would fit my engine it only said it will fit the 307. however, if they mean they will fit the chevy 307 it would not fit mine and im not gonna take the risk of ordering it and sending it back if it doesn't fit. yanno what shipping costs are to this place?

altough the same principles work on my engine as well as on all engines, ARE there any cams, intakes or what not available for the Olds 307? or are these the same as the 350 olds? i mean, is the 350 olds the same engine other then a different bore and/or stroke?

look, i am not trying to be utterly lazy, but asking straight away if anybody did soup up a 307 was the easiest way. sorry if i provoked any wrong ideas here.

thank u

Pieter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:41 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi Highway Star!

I am not the master of the engine questions but I can easily say that working on 307 olds to make it faster will cost you much when we compare to swap with it a higher engine like other olds guys here say.They are right....
if i were you i continue to ride that olds 307 of yours with regular maintenance... try to see other side of the medallion... your car is very pleasurable to ride... look after him and it will look after you good...

But if you wanna race and beat someone with using V8... sell this and buy (or buy another) some really sport v8... but be warned that sports car would not give you olds pleasure and comfort :) i dont know your cars condition but it seems a pleasurable car if you looked after it good....

or if you can not really afford to sell and buy just swap at higher engine... because i know someone here in our country that tried to make an olds 260 v8 to run faster ...he tried a lot but these kind of olds engines are build to be RELIABLE of course that does not mean they are very weak but they are really reliable in their class according to chevys... at soon he swaped to higher engine to receive performance...

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:33 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

yes, offcourse its a very reliable motor. but i have two points not wanting to swap the engine.

1. its been rebuild 2 yrs ago
2. its numbers matching

i know matching numbers is overrated, but i like the idea i still have the original motor in it. the overall state of the car is good, minor rust on the body but the underside of the doors are rotten. not totally, but they are cruchy. u know what i mean. the car drives like a dream and its a really good basis for a mild custom. however, to look at other ppl taillights all the time gets me depressive. oh well, i guess i have to cope with it, was just wondering if anybody had ay experience building such a motor. if u guys say its better to swap it, i'll leave it as is.. and yes, i know the other side of the medallion. i mean, u don't have to go fast to be seen...

still, more power wouldn't be bad at all! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:32 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hello all,

Highway_star wrote:
wow, this is the kind of answer i didn't expect! ........

What answer did you expect? Something other than the truth?

Highway_star wrote:
........ look i did a search, but found so much topics regarding the 307 i didn't want to go through them, since i have more things to do then sit behind a computerscreen ........

The information is there. All the other performance threads are also useful, all you have to do is read them. They might give you enough knowledge to ask the right questions.

If you aren't that interested, no one can help you.

Highway_star wrote:
........ can somebody tell me what a SBO is? (small block olds?) ........

Yes.

Highway_star wrote:
........ i am a friggen noob when it comes to getting the engine more lively ........

Wouldn't that would be why you started this thread?

Highway_star wrote:
........ also, here in Holland there arent any speedshops in my area ........

Only difference between there and here, is, you do mail order and I don't.

Highway_star wrote:
........ 307 chevy is indeed not interchangeable with olds, i knew that one already ........
Highway_star wrote:
........ but i dunno if that would fit the 307 olds, since there is a chevy 307 also ........

OK.

Highway_star wrote:
........ however, if they mean they will fit the chevy 307 it would not fit mine ........

Those parts listed under Chev would fit Chev, Those listed under Olds would fit Olds.

Highway_star wrote:
........ im not gonna take the risk of ordering it and sending it back if it doesn't fit. yanno what shipping costs are to this place? ........

They sell more Olds parts than they show on the website. Lack of technical support is the reason it's not the best place to shop.

Highway_star wrote:
........ are there any cams, intakes or what not available for the Olds 307? ........

Yes.

Highway_star wrote:
........ are these the same as the 350 olds? i mean, is the 350 olds the same engine other then a different bore and/or stroke? ........

Other than the Bore, Yes.

Other than the deck height, bore, and stroke, its the same as a 455.

Highway_star wrote:
........ look, i am not trying to be utterly lazy, but asking straight away if anybody did soup up a 307 was the easiest way ........

There was at least one 307 running high tens in NHRA competition.

Highway_star wrote:
........ sorry if i provoked any wrong ideas here ........

Questions and answers are the keys to communication.

Highway_star wrote:
........ its been rebuild 2 yrs ago ........

That's when the real mods are normally done.

Highway_star wrote:
........ to look at other ppl taillights all the time gets me depressive ........

http://www.oldsconnection.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1761

88 Coupe wrote:
........ If you have a fat checkbook and still want to make a 307 run with 350s, it's not hard. If you want to bolt on some aftermarket parts and do the same, forget it.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:44 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

well, that fat checkbook is beeing used for my Formula right now, i decided to stick with the stock motor for now.

i know modding a motor happens when u rebuild it. still, i need to rephrase it, there aren't any speedshops that do V8's. the motor needed e rebuild after some dumbass who wanted to buy it destroyed the engine. there were two burned pistons and i dunno what more..

so, i did do some research, as u guys told me, and found a cam and an intake. was thinkin of a vortech blower. all those combined should give a reasonable amount of power i guess.

still want to thank u for ur time, even if it was a lazy attempt for a story on a properly build motor. for now, i'll leave the engine as is, maybe for the future.