It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fan ? and RPM highway ?
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:27 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I took a road trip on Friday and before i went i replaced the thermostat because the new one i got was bad and this seemed to solve the problem of it overheating for most part.

Has anyone rigged up an electric fan for their 2.5 calais in place of the stock one? I am thinking of using the dual taurus fans i got from my v8 project and the 16" pusher/puller in front of the rad for a total of 3 fans. My fan doesnt seem to turn on when it hits 225 cuz we stopped when it was at 240 and the fan wasnt running at all.

The other ? is im running 3500-4000RPM highway anything i can do to the transaxle or what to get the RPMS down a little. You cant really go above 70 on interstate without it climbing the temp up because of the fan.

Also were thinking of adding some dryer ducting to bring air into the engine and removing the AC.

Is there anything i need to remove the AC or is it just take off the AC belt and itll be good.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:06 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

srh222 wrote:
You cant really go above 70 on interstate without it climbing the temp up because of the fan.

Traveling on the highway at 70MPH should provide plenty of air for your radiator to properly cool the engine, fan or no fan. I'd check the radiator first to make sure it's flowing properly, then go from there. If the radiator is blocked up with deposits / sediment it won't cool properly... no matter how many fans you strap to it. If the stock fan isn't coming on at a certain temp, that could be a problem too, but it seems to me that at highway speeds you shouldn't need a fan at all.

srh222 wrote:
Is there anything i need to remove the AC or is it just take off the AC belt and itll be good.

Doing this would have the same effect as leaving your A/C turned off. When the A/C is off, the compressor just acts like a free spinning pulley; it doesn't consume any significant amount of power.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:04 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I just wanna remove the AC because i dont use it and itll make some space under the hood.

Yeh first im gonna be flushing the system out in next few weeks. Never did it with any of my vehicles so itll take a little bit before i do it.

Still gonna strap fans to it.

Lol any kinda of overdrive thing for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:04 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Hi there,
If your fan is not turning on then you should fix it instead of adding more fans to the problem.

One thing to check would be the cooling fan motor. Another thing would be the coolant temperature switch...which tells the fan when to turn on and off according to temperature. There's also a relay to check in the system. Could be a cut wire.....maybe just a burnt out fuse....

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:10 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

itll turn on some of the time but not when it gets 220 when it should just run all the time. So instead of replacing the fan motor and just replacing the fan because we checked the fuse and thats good and the sensor has been tested w a meter and that checked out then thats kinda when i targeted the fan.But that coolant flush is going to get done here because i know it needs that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:46 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Guys a ? here been searching this for last few days maybe could i get some feedback on it.

http://www.fierosails.com/tempgage.html

Like it shows the 151 on my car second pic in the thermo cap housing.Could that be a possibility?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:07 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

certainly could be a possibility. If the fan does come on occasionally, its more than likely that the guage is acting up. Apart from hooking up a second water temp gauge, I am not sure how to verify the temp guage is telling the truth. Is your guage "pegging"? It might just be a faulty guage, in which case changing the wires wont help you out.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:14 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

See that what i dont really know, i dont believe it to be pegging just when im on the highway which is why i turn to the fan. I know the fans will fit in there but havent had time to do anything

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:08 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

srh222 wrote:
........ i replaced the thermostat because the new one i got was bad and this seemed to solve the problem of it overheating for most part ........

Why did you replace the stat in the first place?
How did you know the new one was bad?

srh222 wrote:
........ coolant flush is going to get done here because i know it needs that.

Good thinking.

88delta88 wrote:
........ I am not sure how to verify the temp guage is telling the truth ........

Cooking thermometer.

srh222 wrote:
........ i dont believe it to be pegging just when im on the highway which is why i turn to the fan ........

If it overheats at highway speeds, the problem has nothing to do with the fan, and everything to do with coolant flow.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:22 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well at idle idle was higher than normal and when driving it was pushing coolant out of the empty overflow and when i changed the stats from the new one to the newer one lol it fixed that issue. But at moment i got an alternator belt hopping around and i do not know how to tighten it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:35 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

srh222 wrote:
But at moment i got an alternator belt hopping around and i do not know how to tighten it at all.

When was the belt last replaced? If replaced recently then it's the wrong belt or the tensioner needs to be replaced. Otherwise...the belt is stretched out.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:42 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

At the end of march, i had the alternator belt, the AC belt, and the water pump belt replaced.
http://www.fierosails.com/belt.html

Ive been doing so much researching for things to put on motor over last few weeks just to get a little better pickup out of it.

ANyone have any sites that show different FWD transaxles? Looking for a 4 speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:50 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Odd....ALLDATA shows a serpentine belt with tensioner (one belt running everything) for a 1988 Olds Calais 2.5L

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:25 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

srh222 wrote:
........ But at moment i got an alternator belt hopping around and i do not know how to tighten it at all........
srh222 wrote:
........ At the end of march, i had the alternator belt, the AC belt, and the water pump belt replaced........

Did your overheating problem start shorly after that, or a week or two later? Either way, I'd take it back and let them finish the job.

srh222 wrote:

Are you working on a Fiero V6?

srh222 wrote:
........ Ive been doing so much researching for things to put on motor over last few weeks just to get a little better pickup out of it........

Have you thought about rearranging your priorities?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:40 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

srh222 wrote:

Are you working on a Fiero V6?

NO but the fieros had the 2.5 iron dukes and some of that will relate to the calais in the sense of the motor.
srh222 wrote:
........ Ive been doing so much researching for things to put on motor over last few weeks just to get a little better pickup out of it........

Have you thought about rearranging your priorities?

what priorities? explain
Norm[/quote]

Lol been awhile sincei posted. Update

Got a new starter since old one finally crapped out on me i knew it was going but had no money to fix it.

Had him get the old radiator cap off which took hima half hour because its in the core support and it was rusted on. I do not have antifreeze smell no more while heat is on but still got air in motor. Gotta take it on highway to see if any improvement with overheating issue or not.

Been really busy with work and i must have missed the reply to this thread.

The problem just reared its head when i went out onto highway a few weeks ago.

I currently idle at 2000RPM at startup give it a little gas she drops to 1000. I kick the SES light but no code is ever stored as soon as gas is given no light. A fellow member posted a thread about this awhile ago but it died without any answer ever being given. I do have a hi flow cat on it but i dont think that is the reason or it would throw a code.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next