It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:57 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I've changed my mind about the rear end (previous topic). Since it is posi, I think i will leave it alone and change the tranny to a 400 series, and am currently researching a new motor, thinking about building up from a new 350 HO crate motor. If not that, then possible looking for a rocket to rebuild and drop in place of the 305. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: New topic...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:29 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Doesn't using a title that is not related to the topic, defeat the purpose of starting a new thread?

adma449 wrote:
........ and change the trans to a 400 ........

For what reason?

adma449 wrote:
........ thinking about building up from a new 350 HO crate motor ........

A "crate motor" is a new engine that is ready to bolt in. I prefer to rebuild a used one to my own specs, for less money.

Like a change in rear end ratios, your choice of part numbers would depend on several factors, including your intended use.

adma449 wrote:
........ If not that, a rocket to rebuild ........

Within the limits of your budget, your imagination, and the rest of your combination, an Olds V8 can be made to do anything you want. How you go about it, would depend on how you wish to use it.

adma449 wrote:
........ Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I repeat. What is your goal, and how much mileage/comfort/noise level (at highway speeds) are you willing to give up for it? Also, what is your budget?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:06 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The 400 series are built heavier and can have more low end torque depends on the setup. Only turn key crate motors come ready to toss in, you can buy a base which is a block, heads and intake and crank...which leaved the buyer the choice of carb, etc. And when it comes to budget...there is none, but its not a year project...i plan to keep this for a long time. Comfort and noise level can always be adjusted...its not a 454, and mileage is already not too too good for gas prices, but i dont care...its an olds...ill always drive it. The purpose is exactly what the original cutlass was designed...a muscle car plain and simple. Shes gotta look good, sound good and kick and buck when you drop her.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:43 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Just FYI, adma449, I changed the topic title to reflect the content of the thread... :-)

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:10 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi all,

88delta88: Thank you, it will make it much less confusing for future members.

adma449 wrote:
The 400 series are built heavier ........

Yes they are. At least 30# heavier than a TH350. Adding unnecessary weight, will not make your car go faster.

adma449 wrote:
........ and can have more low end torque depends on the setup .......

TH400 has a 2.48 first gear vs 2.52 for the TH350. Which you you think "has more torque"?

Any idea how much extra power the TH400 uses to turn over those heavier internals? Power that doesn't get to the rear wheels?

adma449 wrote:
........ Only turn key crate motors come ready to toss in ........

And that's why they are called "Crate Motors". The term was first used by the car mags. It applied to complete engines, sold for "for marine use only" and later to "for off road use only".

I don't even want to think about how one might go about "tossing" an engine.

adma449 wrote:
........ you can buy a base which is a block, heads and intake and crank...which leaved the buyer the choice of carb, etc .........

Block, heads, intake, and crank would ship in separate packages. Carb, ect, would be the buyers responsibility either way.

If you mean a "Short Block", they have always been shipped on pallets and have never been called "crate motors".

adma449 wrote:
........ And when it comes to budget...there is none ..........

Can't make a plan without a budget.

adma449 wrote:
........ Comfort and noise level can always be adjusted...its not a 454, and mileage is already not too too good for gas prices, but i dont care...its an olds...ill always drive it. The purpose is exactly what the original cutlass was designed...a muscle car plain and simple. Shes gotta look good, sound good and kick and buck when you drop her.........

Kick and buck when you drop her?

When you decide to clearly define your goal and state a realistic budget we can continue. If not, I'm done here.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:07 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

^ that guys pretty blunt. And pretty damn right, too. Take it from me, there is no such thing as a bottomless pit of a budget. What do you have to work with instantly, and how much work can you do yourself, are you going carb (yes, you probably should IMHO), What sort of power do you want? Be Resonable... For your Tranny, consider OD is a very usefull thing, and a 700R4 is not a bad tranny, can be built up cheap, But, ask ^ Norm If it will fit, i'm sorry, I don't know. If you mean you want a "Drag Car" by the Kick thing, I would change my mind. Drag cars become money pits, plain and simple. A small block chevy (SBC) is an easy, cheap, adaptable build. A newer 350, Generation one engine from a Vortec C/K GM truck, among other models, is an easy start. I would love to ramble about the 350 builds I've done, but wont. Pontiac 400's are a good choice, too. Unfortunately, I'm not as organized as ^ him, nor am I very familiar with these cars (yet..) but Follow his advice. "All good Rebuilds begin with a well structured plan, and end there too." So please, get one, I promise I'll help with what I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:56 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

onfir3 wrote:
........ A small block chevy (SBC) is an easy, cheap, adaptable build ........

My advice, so far, has been generic. If he asks any Chev specific questions, I will refer him to a Chev board.

Not because I don't have the knowledge/experience, but because I don't discuss Chevs (including my own) on an Olds board.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]