It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: 440T4 Transmission
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:09 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Hey guys with the 440T4 trans... A long time ago, likely 3 years, I was unhappy about one thing on my delta. The transmission shift points. I would slow down to make a left turn, and coming out of the turn, just to gain speed again, the trans would first have to downshift and then you could accelerate. Annoying.

It seemed like the engine had a lot more torque available at low RPM than the trans would allow you to use without downshifting. And the trans would shift a LOT, driving around town. So, I took a look at the throttle linkage. There is a cable on the throttle that tells the transmission where the throttle is. There was an adjuster on that cable to move it in or out. I moved the adjuster one notch in, and went for a test drive.

No more downshifting just to make a left turn, and I could stick my foot into the throttle more without downshifting. Feels a lot better than it used to, and, the trans has more time in one gear. Plus, wide open was not affected, it still downshifts for a wide open pass on the highway just fine.

Do you guys suppose if you prevent the 440T4 from shifting as much, it will last longer? (less wear on the clutches is my theory) Mines still pulling as strong as it ever did, and is giving no signs of slipping or other failure as a result of my modification. This was 3 years ago, and I love the way it drives since the mod.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:32 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I notice the same thing too. Going up hills really sucks (it's really hilly when I live) and it will not downshift. I have to manually shift it to second. It most likely is causing my tranny problems. On turns I generally try and goose the throttle a little bit to where it will downshift into the right spot and I've had some success with that. It waste gas and tires though. I actually might try what you did.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:40 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Do you have pics of this adjuster? I see the cable you speak of, but it doesn't seem adjustable at all.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: 440T4 Transmission
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:16 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi 88delta88, hello everyone,

Is it a TV cable or a kickdown cable? A kickdown should work with a vacuum modulator.

A TV valve handles both functions, and the adjustment can be critical. If a TH 700R4 TV cable is anything other than "close" the trans can turn to toast in a few miles of driving.

Quote:
........ Do you guys suppose if you prevent the 440T4 from shifting as much, it will last longer? ........

Good theory. I don't know about practice. For the average driver, it will last longest with the cable adjusted to factory specs. FSM will show the proper maintenance procedure and intervals. Brandos Alldata program should, also.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:55 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Brando, will send you some pictures... The adjuster has a spring loaded "button" you press, and you can move the adjuster back and forth. I moved mine ONE notch looser than factory. Not a big difference, but noticeable.

I am quite interested to find out what the actual function of this cable is.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:33 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
........ I moved mine ONE notch looser than factory ........

Looser than factory, or back to factory? One reason for the adjustment is to allow compensation for wear.

Quote:
........ I am quite interested to find out what the actual function of this cable is.

If it moves the entire length of travel along with the gas pedal, it's a TV cable. If it only moves with the last portion of the pedal it's a kickdown.

Sorry, I'm using the word kickdown until I remember the correct name.

TV cable, like the vacuum modulator, controls the timing and severity of the shifts. Near WOT, like the Kickdown cable, it causes "forced downshifts" to occur.

Before cables and modulators, there were hard linkage setups.

The modulation and kickdown functions overlap to a degree, making my explanation oversimplified.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:56 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Hey....there's a "customer interest TSB" on this. Intermittent/Delayed Upshifts, noting that the cause could be an improperly set TV cable. Throttle Valve Cable Linkage is the cable we are talking about here.

Quote:

Throttle Valve Cable/Linkage: Adjustments
1. Ensure ignition is in the "Off" position.
2. Depress and hold adjustment tab at engine end of Throttle Valve (TV) cable, Fig. 1.
3. Move slider until it contacts fitting, then release readjustment tab.
4. Ensure cable operates freely, noting that cable may appear to operate properly with engine stopped and cold. Recheck with engine warm.
5. Road test vehicle.

Here is an article that explains things nicely.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:48 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi Brando, all,

Looks like the same setup as a 700R4.

Quote:
........ Here is an article that explains things nicely ........

Thanks brando. It's a good read for interested novices. Interesting that it uses both vacuum and TV.

And this one, on the same site, shows how I've always worked. Might even be a little insight into my attitudes toward diagnosis, and BS posts.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:11 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Norm, the cable was moved one notch forward, so the cable was slightly looser than factory setting.

Brando, that is the adjuster exactly. Reading the link you gave me, brando, I wonder if that spring is a candidate for my trans? It has clunked slightly ever since I've owned the car. The 2-1 shift exactly describes the problem. It doesnt sound like I'm the only one who played with thier TV cable to talor thier trans to thier needs!

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]