What's a better suspension package
 Luxury  53%  53%  [ 8 ]
 Performance  47%  47%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 15

Post subject: Suspension specs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:10 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Can someone please help me out on this--I'm just trying to find out what kind of suspension package would be best for my car. I don't know if it needs shocks, struts or a combination of the two, and also what brands are best. I'm just looking a smoother ride than what I'm getting now.

Post subject: Re: Suspension specs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:54 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

dblack3000 wrote:
........ looking a smoother ride than what I'm getting now.

Not a lot of information to work with.

Do you mean "smooth" like a '70s 98?

What are you willing to give up, to get a "smoother" ride? Handling? Stability? Safety?

Norm.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:55 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Your car should provide you with one of the smoothest rides around... Mine does.

I have monroe sensa-trac struts all the way around. Have the car inspected, replace worn tierods, ball joints, any other worn parts. Use good tires, and the car should ride like $1,000,000.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:17 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:
dblack3000 wrote:
........ looking a smoother ride than what I'm getting now.

Not a lot of information to work with.

Do you mean "smooth" like a '70s 98?

What are you willing to give up, to get a "smoother" ride? Handling? Stability? Safety?

Norm.

Basically, all that I'm looking for is a smooth, luxurious ride, a la a Cadillac--if that's possible; where I can take a tight turn without feeling like I was gonna flip over.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:18 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
Your car should provide you with one of the smoothest rides around... Mine does.

I have monroe sensa-trac struts all the way around. Have the car inspected, replace worn tierods, ball joints, any other worn parts. Use good tires, and the car should ride like $1,000,000.

Could you give me an idea as to what the cost to do all of this is gonna cost me--gotta start saving my pennies!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

dblack3000 wrote:
88delta88 wrote:

Could you give me an idea as to what the cost to do all of this is gonna cost me--gotta start saving my pennies!!!

I would take it to a reputable shop, and have them give it a good once over. they will be able to get it in the air, and check over all the suspension components.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:36 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

dblack3000 wrote:

For my car, I spent the following (in canadian dollars)
Monroe Sensatrac - 4 struts @ $90.00 = $360.00
New BF Goodrich tires - 4 @ $115.00 = $460.00
Rear Ball Joins : 2 @ $45.00 = $90.00

For $910.00 plus tax, in CAD currency, my car rides like new. Your repair list may vary, but good struts and tires are very important. Keep in mind I did the work installing the struts and ball joints. Labour will be extra.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:32 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

88delta88, did you not replace your strut mounts too? They should always be replaced with the struts too. If the struts are worn out, the mounts are usually worn out too (except for rare occasions).

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:25 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

nope, didnt replace the mounts, but I havent had any problems with them...

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
dblack3000 wrote:

For my car, I spent the following (in canadian dollars)
Monroe Sensatrac - 4 struts @ $90.00 = $360.00
New BF Goodrich tires - 4 @ $115.00 = $460.00
Rear Ball Joins : 2 @ $45.00 = $90.00

For $910.00 plus tax, in CAD currency, my car rides like new. Your repair list may vary, but good struts and tires are very important. Keep in mind I did the work installing the struts and ball joints. Labour will be extra.

Was doing all that stuff difficult and/or time consuming-also, what kinds of special tools do you need. This is my first foray into this sort of work so I want to get an idea of how I am gonna get enough time in my day to do this--with a little help from my friends, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:25 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Struts are involved to say the least. If you've never done them before it can be dangerous, because the springs are under pressure. I barely escaped without breaking my thumb, because the crappy spring compressor I used popped right off while I was assembling the strut. 4 wheel alignment is required after a swap.

Ball joints require that you have or know someone with a press. The old ones have to be pressed out of the control arm and new ones pressed in. One wrong move, and you can mangle the arm with a high pressure press.

Tires are a no-brainer, the tire shop will be more than happy to mount and balance.

If you've never done anything like this before, I would definately take it to a shop to have the work done, for safety reasons.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:50 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:

I also put sensa-tracks at all the way around on my 85 Ciera this past June and it made a huge difference. I just got 2 front struts and 2 rear shocks (I didnt get the mounting package they offer I reused my old stuff) and it came to $199 and remember if you replace the front struts your gonna need a front end alignment which I had done for $50. I got the parts at my local Pep Boys and had the alignment done at a local shop. I rate the sensa tracks high for the nice smooth ride they give without really compromising handleing or safety.

1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham Holiday Coupe

1988 Olds Cutlass Ciera International Series Sedan

OCA #037778
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]