It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:41 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

You guys ever see an epidosde of Pimp my Ride where crazy Mike installed a super computer. It was a little box that had everything in it. Audio, video, GPS, anything you can think of. Now I know its gonna be probably in a $1000 and up range, but I want to know what my options are before I start spending money on a bunch of stuff I might not need.

I tried googling but nothing usefull came up, and Ebay only has stuff thats a normal computer fit for your car, but thats not what I am talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:49 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

GraveReaper0 wrote:
You guys ever see an epidosde of Pimp my Ride where crazy Mike installed a super computer. It was a little box that had everything in it. Audio, video, GPS, anything you can think of. Now I know its gonna be probably in a $1000 and up range, but I want to know what my options are before I start spending money on a bunch of stuff I might not need.

I tried googling but nothing usefull came up, and Ebay only has stuff thats a normal computer fit for your car, but thats not what I am talking about.

My old roommate put a desktop in the trunk, and ran cables to a touch screen lcd. I'd call it a 'super computer' because it did audio, video, had a gps card, and a wireless card... To get the 'little box' effect, you could use a small case, or maybe even a mac mini case.

JMHO from what I have seen.

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:37 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Build it with a "mini-atx" pc. They are built specifically for this design.

We bought 4 units, I will find the manufacturer if interested, but they look like a nice looking car audio amplifier, runs on 12V (no inverter needed), and has all the normal inputs/outputs.

While the CPU spec is lower than desktop par (the ones we had were 1200Mhz AMD with 512 ddr333 ram), they seem to be able to handle what ever we threw at it, with the exception of bleeding edge games.

The advantage of buying a PC/laptop that runs on 12v only is indispensable when looking at that type of application. Want GPS? Buy a usb GPS antenna, and you're good to go. Buy an automotive type LCD, hook up to your sound system's input, and you're rocking!

How much more supercomputer were you looking about going?

I will look for the link to the mini-atx computers.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:05 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well the one I meant has everything built into the little box, only extension it had was a TV antenna. No need to look up what software to put on, because it was preloaded. Its the universal plugn'play computer built specifically for a car.

I was thinking if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right.
But if I can't find it,I'll just build it myself. I could even get some wireless controllers and load up some games.

88delta88, I know about mini-atx, but are these computers built to work in cars? Did you find any pros, cons? Is it something like the $400 units on Ebay? I am interested to see what my other options are.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:17 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

GraveReaper0 wrote:
88delta88, I know about mini-atx, but are these computers built to work in cars?

Yes, they have a 12V power supply. They've got auto turn on, just like a car amp when you hit the key. You may or may not use that feature. Also do a google search for "mini-itx". Seems to be the same sort of deal.

Quote:
Did you find any pros, cons? Is it something like the $400 units on Ebay? I am interested to see what my other options are.

I am thinking you will be spending $400 on the equipment, easy. Depending on the extent you want to go with it, I would recommend using an old laptop, like I did. Have you taken a look at mine?

Also, did you look at my article in the tech section about building a car PC? ;-) It took me a long time to write!

Go to MP3CAR.com also, they're whole site is dedicated to what you want to do. I used to live on that site, when I was building PC's into my cars. This was before MP3 head units were available (the reason I used PC's in my car in the first place).

Again, I will get you the link to the ones we purchased for the trucks at work. They run in all weather from -35*c to 35*c just fine.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:50 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Oh damn, that mp3car site is the shiznit! Thanks for showing me that, now I know what to do.

Looks like I'm gonna build me one with parts from the trusty Ebay. They even got some bitching software you can load up, that is great, because I was thinking I'm gonna have to write something in basic. I am going to hook it up to a motorized 7" touchscreen LCD. Maybe 8" if they make one that would fit into a single DIN?

And I need a little help from you guys. I was thinking about the drive. I think I'm gonna go with a DVD drive for movies and such, but it would suck having to get outta the car and into the trunk everytime I wanna change the CD, so i was thinking I'll yank out the ashtray, and build a small bracket or something to hold the radio below the monitor?

From what I've seen so far looks like I'm gonna spend somewhere aroun $800-$1000.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:28 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

HERE is the site that sells mainboards, cases and power supplies.

This is exactly what the units we ordered for the trucks here look like:

Since I've been there, they have a new standard. Nano-ITX. 1/2 the footprint of the mini-itx boards. Price reflects.

See what you think.

P.S. None of my installs have ever risen above $300 CDN. I beleive my installs have all been able to do what you want to accomplish also. It can be done very cheaply if you plan it out properly.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:29 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Don't watch PMR, but this is one I know of:

http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails. ... =SDK%2D007

Here is some MiniITX computers, among other accessories, I just ordered from them recently, good company.

http://www.logicsupply.com/index.php/cPath/50

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:30 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Clarion also made something a while back, called the Joyride AutoPC....Intel Pentium MMX processor.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]