It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:26 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I didn't think it would work: =Swapping stock exhaust for a more authoritative sounding performance exhaust, but i saw profiles on cardomain.com with users who have my same car with flowmaster exhaust. I feel like my car has all this bottled up noise it wants to let out, but the stock exhaust wont let it come out. Is it a big deal to install new exhaust? Are there any flowmaster models that would fit my car? can i do it myself? Im not looking for a deafening dragster roar. just something that presents the car a little better. maybe even get a few hp out of it too...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:49 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

You can put any muffler on any car. That may not mean it will sound good though... In any event, you'll find great information at your local exhaust shop, they'll even have prices for you!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:03 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

is it possible to get that deep sound by just changing the muffler, or do i need to change everything up the catalytic converter? my worst fear is getting the wrong parts and having my car sound like a some little Japanese rice rocket. So far, ive only heard good things about flowmaster.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:04 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi raskull,

Welcome to TOC.

Quote:
is it possible to get that deep sound by just changing the muffler ........

The tone and volume are set by the muffler(s). Other aspects, such as the unique 3/3 sound of your engine cannot be easily changed.

88delta88 has given you the best possible advice. Visit your local (not chain) muffler shop for an explanation of all your options, along with their actual cost.

Quote:
........ So far, ive only heard good things about flowmaster.

In dynamometer tests, comparing performance mufflers, they have not done very well.

There is only one way to know how they sound, and whether that tone is right for you.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:40 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

where can i get specific information regarding the size and type of my stock exhaust. Now that i've upgraded the air going into my car, i want to upgrade the air going out.
There's a lot of options online, but im not sure how to find out the exact specifications of my car. i will most likely end up replacing the muffler and the tip.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:15 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

raskull wrote:
where can i get specific information regarding the size and type of my stock exhaust ........

Anyone else?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:36 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

raskull wrote:
....Now that i've upgraded the air going into my car, i want to upgrade the air going out.....

Its not good to have air coming out. You might want to have your oxygen sensors looked at.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:06 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I hallowed out my catalytic converter (it was rusted out anyways, also "legal" in my state) and it gave me a deep sound without a muffler change (also didn't have that typical aftermarket muffler upper RPM raspy tone) as heard in the vid I shot below.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e27d ... fd6216.htm

Only problem with V6's and aftermarket exhaust is in the upper RPM ranges they sound too raspy.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:26 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
raskull wrote:
....Now that i've upgraded the air going into my car, i want to upgrade the air going out.....

Its not good to have air coming out. You might want to have your oxygen sensors looked at.

haha, somehow i think you know what i meant

I don't think i want to mess with the catalytic converter. Not sure about the legality of that in Massachusetts. I bet its frowned upon cause were so freaking green over here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:41 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I took a look at my muffler today, it has a center inlet, and an offcenter outlet which then has a pipe coming off which bends towards the front of the car and then is bent 180 degrees to the rear of th ecar where the end of the pipe is.

If i were to get a new muffler, would i need to weld it all together, and could i purchase a pipe that just turns 90degrees once from the muffler to the back of the car?

But yeah, it doesnt seem like a quick slip on job. everything seems to be attached via welds. I'm still tryin to figure out the diameter of the pipes too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:51 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

raskull wrote:
.... haha, somehow i think you know what i meant....

;-)

raskull wrote:
.... I'm still tryin to figure out the diameter of the pipes too.

Use a tape measure to measure diameter of pipes on the car. Most likely 2 1/4".

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:29 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I put a flowmaster muffler on my 87 3.8 sfi. Made it sound deep and bad ass. Gets a bit raspy above 3000rpm(only when revving it in idle, but there's no need to rev it that high in idle since it sounds so terrifying under 2000rpm). Sounds awesome at all rpm while driving.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:31 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

what model did you put on? Did you do it yourself? any problems with installing?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:35 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

raskull wrote:
what model did you put on? Did you do it yourself? any problems with installing?

just reading some old posts couldnt help but read this. If youre concerned about exaust flow--port your exaust manifolds and get a high flow cat heres why you need to have your EM's ported
these are what the primaries look like there welded from the inside and hang in the exaust pipe, weld them on the outside and then grind out the inner welds. The rear mani also has a 3-5mm overhang of pipe at all sides that hinders all exaust flow. i also use a hooker max flow, flowmasters i had before but they sound like crap. go for a str8 through muffler like magnaflow or hooker ultra flow, thers some vid's at the bottom of the post.
this is stock

and afterwards

and the video

Last edited by 91parkave on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:58 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

if only i knew what you were talking about lol

i really think i lack the knowledge, tools, money to do any 'real' work to my car. at least right now. i don't even know what im looking at in those pictures

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next