It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:45 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

I don't have the ability to move a single post, so here is 91parkave's reply.

91parkave wrote:
andrewk wrote:
I received a second reply from the people at Crow.

Quote:
If you have difficultlies - come back to me- if we seafreight through our
Missisippi ware house (8 weeks leadtime) you would be looking at a total cost
of US$600 for the cam

You won't have a problem getting it done for less stateside. Of course, I am sure we will have to say that a few more times before it sinks in.

Thats the answer i was looking for...a ballpark figure All the other crap you had to say was irrelevant.

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: S1 3800 Cam question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:00 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

88 Coupe wrote:
andrewk wrote:
Turbocharged400sbc wrote:
A custom cam grind with SI journals and SII lobe phasing/pattern is around 300$ (some places maybe cheaper)
Since that is an exotic grind ........

It's a custom grind.

I meant that it was an uncommon request, with the different lobe phasing and journals, in relation to a custom grind with normal phasing and journals. But, I suppose that's why they call it custom.

88Coupe wrote:
andrewk wrote:
They cost more than an off the shelf grind because they don't have a production run ........

The cam we are discussing, shouldn't cost any more than one on the shelf, as long as an existing master is used. The cam can be done between runs, with little increase in cost. They will eat the difference for a regular account, such as an engine builder, and the cost to the consumer will not change.

andrewk wrote:
........ An unground cam is called a master ........

It is called a core.

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. I got ahead of myself a bit, but I don't know how I mixed those up.

88Coupe wrote:
If a new master has to be made in order to grind a profile that does not exist, it is called a custom grind and the extra charge is to cover tooling costs.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

88Coupe wrote:
Before CNC, the master was a piece of machine tooling, with the actual profile of the lobe that was to be ground. It controlled the lobes relationship to the grinding wheel, as needed.

The wheel is stationary and turns at a high RPM, while the camshaft moves in and out, following the master, while rotating at a low RPM.

No doubt, CNC has changed things a bit.

Now thats cool. I saw a machine like that at a local parts store chain's machine shop (They do lots of machine work in house), but never got close enough to see how it worked.

88Coupe wrote:
Case hardening is done before the grind, not after.

I did not know this. Do you know why they do it this way? How is case hardening different from other forms of hardening?

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:46 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Quote:
Split from this thread.

Good thinking.

Found this one while I was figuring out what happened.

andrewk wrote:
........ to have the same cam ground by an engine builder ........

There may be an exception, but engine builders do not grind cams in house. Equipment is too expensive, and cams are too cheap.

That would include, ZZ Performance and Intense Racing.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:54 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Good catch.

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:26 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

91buickman wrote:
........ Thats the answer i was looking for ........

Now that you have it, you can tell destineal that your reply to his unasked question, was worthless.

91buickman wrote:
........ All the other crap you had to say was irrelevant.

Only after you changed the subject.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:50 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

andrewk wrote:
........ Do you know why they do it this way? ........

Yes I do.

Quote:
........ How is case hardening different from other forms of hardening?

AKA surface hardening: A heat treat procedure that adds carbon to the iron at the surface of the material. In this case, it creates a hard surface from thirty to fifty thousandths deep. Makes the surface hard enough to resist wear, but retains the ductility of the iron.

Valve seats, for unleaded fuel, were done the same way. In both of these cases, the heat destroys the machined surface and a final grind is needed to make it serviceable.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:07 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Quote:
88 Coupe wrote:
91buickman wrote:

Now that you have it, you can tell destineal that your reply to his unasked question, was worthless.

his answer was given in the first reply, the author was looking for a performance oriented cam that is why he asked if there was a diffrence in the cams, i gave a resource, and then you added about that not being "economical" {FACT} Then the conversation shifted towards Which one is a lesser product and then you threw out local cam grinders , and this was the end result- Before blaming me for "off topic", "juvenile" and "smoke screen" comments you should examine your own doings first....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:58 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

The game is called "find the quote, and post it". Here, I'll show you.

This is the meat of the previous conversation, in order.

91parkave wrote:
same cam all the way around if youre looking for a performance cam check out www.crowcams.com.au

88Coupe wrote:
I do not see a listing for Buick/Olds/Pontiac.

91parkave wrote:
because BOP's are not sold in Australia directly.... Thus the holden brand ..

88Coupe wrote:
Makes sense. They wouldn't grind separate profiles for the Yank version, when Crane and Comp Cams already have cams for our Buicks.

I wonder why you would recommend a lesser product that would probably cost the OP twice as much.

91parkave wrote:
Crane or Comp do not offer a cam for series 1 engines and to my knowledge do not offer cams for series 2/3 engines as well they do however offer camshafts for the BUICK 231 v6 which is diffrent from the GM 3800 series v6's

88Coupe wrote:
According to their websites, they do not. Doesn't mean they will not grind one for an engine builder. Terry at FCR should be able handle it.

There are still hundreds of cam grinders in the US. Cam Motion is another example of one that has a website.

91parkave wrote:
yes i know they can but which is more cost effective........

88Coupe wrote:
Already covered. Here it is again:

91parkave wrote:
So let me get this straight....

Notice how you are the one "directing" conversation. It is only because of your poor/off-topic posts that the rest of this crap ensues.

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:04 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

91parkave wrote:

his answer was given in the first reply, the author was looking for a performance oriented cam that is why he asked if there was a diffrence in the cams, i gave a resource, and then you added about that not being "economical" {FACT}

{FACT}- The reply was worthless, unless destineal had the desire to shell out twice the money required to get the cam he was looking for. You were told so in a professional manner. However, you just didn't get it.

91parkave wrote:
Then the conversation shifted towards Which one is a lesser product and then you threw out local cam grinders , and this was the end result-

{FACT}- You were the one that pushed the conversation there.
{FACT}- The only reason it was discussed is because you could not grasp the {FACT} that a cam doesn't have to be off the shelf to be available.

91parkave wrote:
Before blaming me for "off topic", "juvenile" and "smoke screen" comments you should examine your own doings first....

{FACT}- If I left in all the little childish insults that I edited from your posts when you posted them, we would all be laughing harder at this statement.

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:42 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Those are a couple of hard posts to follow.

Following is how it looked before he edited it.

88 Coupe wrote:
91buickman wrote:

91buickman wrote:
........ All the other crap you had to say was irrelevant.

And the following is what he posted, after he edited it.

91buickman wrote:
88 Coupe wrote:
91buickman wrote:

If his editing was not so obvious, it could have been an outstanding example of a sleazy smokescreen.

Instead, 91buickman shows us, again, the immature BS artist that he is.

There was a lot more, but the above two posts covered it far better than I did.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:19 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

88 Coupe wrote:
AKA surface hardening: A heat treat procedure that adds carbon to the iron at the surface of the material. In this case, it creates a hard surface from thirty to fifty thousandths deep. Makes the surface hard enough to resist wear, but retains the ductility of the iron.

Valve seats, for unleaded fuel, were done the same way. In both of these cases, the heat destroys the machined surface and a final grind is needed to make it serviceable.

Norm

Thanks for the info Norm. I have studied some metallurgy, but not enough apparently. I assume the same is done for crankshafts?

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:03 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

andrewk wrote:
........ I have studied some metallurgy ........

I haven't.

Most of this stuff came from listening to Geezers (the above tidbit came from an old guy named Ed Iskenderian) while I was growing up. During my teens, I spent a lot of time talking to NHRA competitors at the local drag strips. I also learned a little when I worked in that little automotive machine shop.

Most importantly, I still listen to those Geezers, whenever they speak.

Quote:
........ same is done for crankshafts?

Not quite the same. Two similar methods are used on cranks, Tuftriding and Nitriding.

Both use chemicals, instead of carbon, and one uses more heat than the other. I leave the specifics to my crank grinder.

Cams must be hardened in all cases, but, depending on the power level, it's not necessarily needed with cranks.

I haven't reached that level yet.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:35 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Ed Iskenderian as in Isky cams? Thanks for sharing Norm- I would be listening to those Geezers too, if I had the luxury of having some around. There was one old guy that helped me with my first Olds, and he taught me a bunch. The little town I grew up in was nearly all Chebby/Ford when it came to "going fast", so most thought this old guy was nuts, but I listened to him, and it paid off.

I didn't realize you lived right in the thick of where a lot of the go-fast stuff came from, and I gotta say, I'm envious.

88Coupe wrote:
andrewk wrote:
........ I have studied some metallurgy ........

I haven't.

I read a book that was titled "metallurgy and welding" written in the 50's, when my first boss was teaching me how to torch weld. He said once I understood a bit about metal, that the welding would come easier. He was right. However, I don't recall anything about hardening other than quenching in water or oil.

Thanks for the crank info, but I have one more question. What do grinders use to polish the journals, after a crank has been cut?

Regards,
Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:34 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

andrewk wrote:
Ed Iskenderian as in Isky cams? ........

The same.

Quote:
........ What do grinders use to polish the journals, after a crank has been cut?

Emery and/or crocus cloth on a hand held belt sander.

He's the same guy that does my crankshaft work.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2