It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:10 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I have a 93 cutlass ciera with a 3300 in it. I was wondering if I could interchange any parts like the heads, intake, computer, anything at all between any of the other newer, bigger motors without having to pull the block, at least for now. I've read that the injectors are batch fire, so wouldnt a newer sequential firing computer give a little improvement? Would it be realistic, considering the lack of cam position sensor?

Would I be better off finding a series 2 motor and swapping for that? If so, anyone have suggestions for realistic prices from a you-pull-it style yard? would the 3 speed tranny thats in the cutlass bolt up to a series 2, and would it handle it without twisting in half?

As far as my mechanical skill level goes, I would say it is moderate. While I was growing up my dad worked on cars for income from our house, so I was always out there, initially watching and getting in the way, then to running for tools to eventually helping. The deepest ive gotten into a motor (and put it back together) was doing a head gasket on a cutlass with a I4 motor in it and rebuilt the head (new springs and rockers, had head shaved) but this was around 7 years ago, when I was 13-ish. Right now I'm a machinist, electronics hobbyist. I own a decent sized mill and am currently working to retrofit the old 80's computer to a modern rig (likely socket A, its what i have spare) running linux and the Enhanced Machine Controller.

If anyone had any idea where i could get tech drawings of things like heads, intake, block... I'd really like to study them, but It seems like it would be somethin pretty hard to get even for the big-wig aftermarket companies. it's more of a hope than a realistic expectation, but it would sure be nice for finding any compatabilities.

I Thank you for reading this long winded post, and for any input and suggestions you have.
Jim Coleman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:37 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi drunkenwhippet,

Welcome to TOC.

Quote:
........ wondering if I could interchange any parts like ........

Heads will probably bolt on. You can use a head gasket from one or the other, to verify. How well they might fit, or work, is anyones guess.

Intake manifolds will not bolt on, due to the differences in deck heights.

Computers may, or may not, physically interchange but they were designed to work with one unique combination. Change any part of that combo, and the computer must be altered to compensate for the difference.

Quote:
........ I've read that the injectors are batch fire ........

Yes, they are. They were originally known as "wasted spark". If you had read farther, you would know why. Knowing why, is to know what you might, or might not, accomplish.

Quote:
........ wouldnt a newer sequential firing computer give a little improvement? ........

Other than a possible increase in the life of the coils, there would be no difference. The rest (knowing why) of the answer, is in my previous statement:

88 Coupe wrote:
If you had read farther, you would know why.

Google is your friend.

Quote:
........ Would it be realistic, considering the lack of cam position sensor? ........

To find out why the CPS is used, refer back to my previous quote.

Quote:
........ Would I be better off finding a series 2 motor and swapping for that? ........

Depends what you wish to accomplish.

Quote:
........ realistic prices from a you-pull-it style yard? ........

Lots of variables. Biggest is the location of the yarde. Next is the owners definition of "supply and demand".

In this case, the "Yellow Pages" are your friend.

Quote:
........ would the 3 speed tranny ........

I don't do trannys.

Quote:
........ and rebuilt the head (new springs and rockers, had head shaved) ........

Explain what you did, that qualifies it as a head rebuild.

Quote:
I'm a machinist ........

I am intrigued.

What machine(s)?

What materials?

What products?

Quote:
........ am currently working to retrofit the old 80's computer to a modern rig (likely socket A, its what i have spare) running linux and the Enhanced Machine Controller ........

Interesting project. I'd be interest in seeing the results.

Quote:
........ where i could get tech drawings of things like ........

Slim chance that any exist, as there is no reason for manufacturers to keep records of obsolete technology.

Quote:
........ pretty hard to get even for the big-wig aftermarket companies ........

Not needed. They use an easier, and more accurate, source.

Quote:
........ but it would sure be nice for finding any compatabilities ........

http://www.oldsconnection.com/forum/vie ... php?p=9980

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:07 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

mind suggesting some google terms? I havnt seen any further reading than i had done, else i would have read it before posting. I havnt been able to find much info on these, so i ask hoping someone else has already wondered the same thing and found the answers, and was kind enough to share. As for the injectors being batch fire, what does that have to do with the spark? Not sure if I'm just missing something or what.

As for the capabilities of this motor, I no longer care as I will be killing the car and then scrapping it. the suspension has rusted through on the rear drivers side, just as a buick century i had did. I'm going to make it my goal to put a rod through the block but i'll prolly just end up spinning a bearing. it'll be ended with fire and firearms, and a trip to the recyclers. I sure am glad i have a camcorder now, will make some good footage.

as for me being a machinist, i run fadal and haas machines, machining primarily aluminum castings, and occasionally do manual work on bridgeports and clausings. the products range from government jobs to parts for vending machines. the lathe I own is a warner swasey no. 4 turret lathe.

I think its kinda funny how you welcome me in the beginning of the post, then you're condescending through the rest of it. way to make someone feel welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:15 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

First, we clear the air:

drunkenwhippet wrote:
........ then you're condescending through the rest of it ........

Did you read something that I did not write?

Or are you here to start a pizzing contest?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]