It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:58 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I recently removed my tired 5.0 liter 307 V-8 and installed in it's place a rebuilt ('79 Trans Am) 6.6 liter 403 V-8. At this point I elected to change the engine only and to rebuild the original 307's computer carb and leave the computer hooked up as well as retaining the 200-4R transmission. My thinking was doing 'one thing at a time' while also keeping it streetable and somewhat economical.

I did try to install hedman headers at the time but we could not get them to fit. I installed the original exhaust manifolds that came with the 403 and the exhaust shop installed dual exhaust but downsized (bushed down) the exhaust pipe to fit the manifolds with the intent of changing this portion out to match whichever I decide to go with (or what will fit). I forget now if it was 2", 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" but will find out if this is important to the conversation.

Thing about the headers, none of the manufacturers know or advertise that they well fit a delta (B-body) yet they do fit a cutlass (A-body). One would think that there would be enough clearance in a bigger car...but alas, that seems not to be the case as well as not many people are souping up the bigger cars.

I have thought about the Thornton Reproduction 350JR manifolds (though looking at their website today this seems to be different from what I looked at a year ago).

Any and all suggestions/experience would be well appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:05 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi 85delta403coupe,

Welcome to TOC

Quote:
........ none of the manufacturers know or advertise that they well fit a delta (B-body) yet they do fit a cutlass (A-body) ........

Difference is in the steering linkage. As you learned with your Hedmans, A body headers won't clear the relay rod.

Do a search for "shorties" "block huggers" or "street rods".

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]