All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:01 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

hey i bought a 76 cutlass supreme
with a 260cid v8, i wanted a car with a 350 rocket or 455
but this thing was real cheap and solid so i got it, i was wondering
if i can do anything with a 260 to make a monster.
I realize that the th200 trans is junk , the one in my car
holdin up pretty well but its starting go on me , but i want switch to a th350, or i heard 260's were also optioned with a 5 speed manual, but i can find one anywere, and i dont know if they were as unreliable as the th200.
Anyway i was wondering if anybody knew of anything i could do as far as rear end, headers, intake, cam, & carb to improve performance.im not opposed to swapping with a 350 or 455,but i was told 350rocket bolt on's would work and it would be easier than a swap. but i want to hear what olds connection has to say. well thanks for your future input.God bless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:16 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi new@this1976, welcome to TOC.

Quote:
........ i wanted a car with a 350 rocket or 455 but this thing was real cheap and solid so i got it ........

First up, you should know that "Rocket" was an advertising term that was intended to keep the public from confusing the "new" '49 Olds V8 with the "new" '49 Cadillac V8.

Next: There was a reason why your 260 was "real cheap".

Quote:
........ i was wondering if i can do anything with a 260 to make a monster ........

Depends what you mean by "monster" and how deep your pockets are.

Quote:
........ I realize that the th200 trans is junk .......

http://www.drwtransmission.com/thm_200C.htm

I know of at least one 9 second car that uses a TH-200.

Quote:
........ 260's were also optioned with a 5 speed manual, but i can find one anywhere, and i don't know if they were as unreliable as the th200 ........

There is a reason why they were only used behind 260s.

Quote:
........ Anyway i was wondering if anybody knew of anything i could do as far as rear end, headers, intake, cam, & carb to improve performance .........

A change in rear gear ratios, to match the intended application, should always be ones first consideration. Dual exhausts are also cost effective.

Headers? Intake? Cam? Not much help without extensive head and intake work (see my "head" comment below) to improve fuel/air flow.

Carb? Bigger is better, up to a point, but the 260 may be an exception.

Quote:
........ I'm not opposed to swapping with a 350 or 455 ........

For most, a 350, 400, 403, 425, or 455, would be a better choice, since all are almost totally interchangeable with your 260.

Quote:
........ i was told 350 rocket bolt ons would work and it would be easier than a swap ........

330, 350, and 403, parts might bolt onto your 260 but whether they they will "work" or not would depend on a lot of factors. For example: Any Olds head will physically bolt onto your 260 block, but the small cylinder bore vs larger valves in the heads, would not allow the valves to open properly.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]