It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Turbo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:31 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hey i was at a car show near me, and i saw 2 1987 Buick Grand Nationals amazing cars, 3.8 litre Turbo charged, rear wheel drive. Amazing blows my away, i really wanna try to get that turbo for my 3.8 in the 85 ciera, one of the owners said all i need is the manifold, throttle body, fuel lines and i could hook it up. But i dunno since mines front wheel drive, the headers sit up front might be kinda hard to hook up a turbo, any ideas? suggestions? is it possible?

Accel Brute Thunder HEI Super Coil
Accel Ignition Module
MSD Rotor
Hypertech 180F Thermostat
Mister Transmission Fluid Cooler
Cool Collar Oil Filter Cooler
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:20 pm 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

speedy, your engine and the one in the grand national..are completely different...the FWD and RWD engines are designed differently, and parts wont interchange with each other....

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:09 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

There has to be some way to rig up a turbo for our cars. As long as we kept the boost at about 6 lbs or less, and had our trannies in good shape, we'd be fine. Of course, the piston rings and overall engine condition would have to be good.

I'm thinking 250hp and 300lb/ft of torque would send some ricers running in fear. Shoot, on 6 pounds of boost, my car would be running sub 7 second 0-60. Remember, turbos don't sap power from the engine to run like superchargers. All the boost you get is cream. Therefore, if you're making 180hp, and you get 50% more power (a common increase), you'd be at 270 hp. More likely would be 230 or so hp, but hey, I'd take it!

The 3.8 is notoriously efficient for forced induction use. Also, this wouldn't hurt our gas mileage as a supercharger would.

DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:17 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

GN motors share the same block, bore, and stroke, thats about it. You car is fuel injected right? If it is then you good, first you need a turbo, go to a junkyard and find a turbo in good condition. Second your going to need new exhaust manifolds made, but I do believe you can work with what you have but your going to have to connect the turbo at where both sides of the exhaust manifolds meet. The after that you have to fab up ducting to get the turbo connected to your intake. I would only run 5 or 6psi max, maybe 8 or 9 psi if you get a intercooler. You will also have to run good gas, good spark plugs with lots of gap and good wires. I don't think you'll see 250 hp you will get a good power boost from it

After you blow up your motor for the first time (High milage motor, to much boost, to hot of a day, low octance, ect.) I would get a GN crank and have it redrill for a FWD tranny, get forged rods, and a low compression (8:1, 8.5:1 max) forged pistons, bigger injectors and have someone totally reprogram your computer.

For more help, talk to the guys at www.turbobuick.com they know everything about boosting buick V6s

1972 Olds Cutlass- Parts car
www.cardomain.com/id/psycodiver69
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:53 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well, to be honest, if I were to get serious about turbocharging a vehicle, I'd make sure the motor was in great shape. I'd probably overhaul the thing. Compression is only 9:1 in the Series I, as I understand it. The guys at firebirdv6.com run 7lbs of boost all day on their Series II 9.6:1 motors. I always run premium gas anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem. I probably wouldn't go over 5 or 6 pounds. One thing that would make a huge difference, though, would be a custom cam or higher rocker ratios. Running them with forced induction and free flow exhaust, you'd have a torque monster. Then, you'd just have to worry about keeping the thing under control. With the high gearing of most Delta 88s, that extra torque would mean a lot.

DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:16 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

here's my idea for turbo'ing.

get an L67 engine and trans, because the 3.8 or 3800 engine may survive with low boost, but the 4T60 transmission does not hold up well to increased power or abuse. the L67 is already set up with lower compression pistons and stronger internal parts, so that simplifies things a bit. take off the supercharger and sell it, get a naturally aspirated series 2 intake and bolt that on. then figure out what has to be done as far as exhaust manifolds, waste gate, and intake ducting. since the L67 computer is already programmed to work with boost, it should either work as is or need minimal modifications with a power programmer. the 4T65e trans is much stronger and there are aftermarket shift kits and also posi traction differentials available for them.

just my $.02

"When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come, with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun?" The Clash
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:18 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

DK...

You've noticed HIGH gear ratios for delta 88's too? I really notice mine. Not really a bad thing, because I'm on the high way a lot. But my mom's minivan (93 pontiac transsport with 3800) can kick my car's ass, and even light up the tires, whereas my delta has a lot of pull at higher RPMs, but cannot even squak the tires off the line. I believe the weights of both vehicles are ALMOST exactly the same.

I guess they were meant as a highway car. I wonder if a transmission swap would see a better use of the 3.8's abilities? I wonder if a different trans would even fit on ther?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:52 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

You can't spin your tires? I can light mine up. Maybe there's something wrong with your engine. As for gear ratios, my car does 1st gear through about 45. At 70mph, I do about 1800rpm in overdrive. It is geared quite high, but has sufficient torque to handle it pretty well. One thing I've noticed is that at higher speeds, she still has plenty of punch left. Gotta love it.

DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:04 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Nothing is wrong with the engine, as far as I can see... I hear no pinging on heavy acceleration, and I've only got 140,000km's (85,000 miles) on it! It has a lot of go especially on the highway, but I can't spin the tires! But I guess all that means is that my tires last longer!

:-)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:04 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

wanna talk about spining tires, you should drive my car. It's crazy, that little 3.1 will go crazy. It's had to drive it without them sliping just a little

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:46 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I know some may disagree but remember what i am about to share is based on spending money.

Limited slip is already available for your transaxle and the 4t60-e is actually stock a stronger unit.

Yes the 4t65-e has had a longer option list but the same options and performance is available with the 4t60-e

Yes and even gear changes.

As for the turbo DP has many sources who can set you up with a professional fully custom turbo and all the parts to make it work.

Your engine is most likely fairly old so a serious turbo build should be complemented with a full engine rebuild to handle real HP.

The potential is easily in the 500hp range with the proper mods.

yes it will be expensive to do this...But cheaper than a new vette by far.

Ty
Domestic Performance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:30 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

oooh, a vette..... dont get me wrong I love oldsmobiles more than anything else, but I also wouldn't mind having a Z06 Corvette :D

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:11 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The reason i mention vette ( I also like them) is because of the cost of one and the HP they come with. Helps to put the cost of modding your car for more performance into perspective.

So the cost is relatively cheap for the power gains but the issue is always the car you are doing it too. How much do you like/or want your car?

Ty

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]