It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 3 of 5 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:36 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

bigdog wrote:
Thanks out to all who are trying to help me. i am new to the Olds game and am just trying to feel my way. I joined the Olds Connection to help me with this. Didn't know that I was actually annoying some people(73 Delta 88). Thanks again to all who are trying to help me.

In order to get the most out of the board, your goals, budget and all those other questions Norm asked you should be answered so that the best recommendation can be made. Not sure what you are going after other than "more launch" I am assuming that by that you mean you want quicker low end acceleration, and the best way to do that, as mentioned a few times in your threads, is a gear change. Going from a 2.xx, or low 3 to a 3.55 or 3.73 will feel like a hundred horsepower. Anyway, Let us know your goals (eg- ET, 60 ft time, etc) other than just "more launch"

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:08 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ but come on, a race ready 50 Olds ........

Two near stock, drive anywhere, cruisers. I don't do race cars.
DrRansom442 wrote:
........ there is a guy around here goes by the name "Tinker" he also has a "low-buck" all-steel car (I think his is a forty-eight)....I believe Tink said his car back halved, 6pt bar has a fighting weight of under 3000 pounds with nothing but a barely breathed on single 4 barrel 455 .060" over runs solid 11s .........

What do he and his car have to do with this thread? What's your point?

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ he also has ........

My coupes weigh just under 4000# each, have stock suspensions front and rear, and run on unleaded pump gas. If they weighed 3000# they would run high 10s, and still drive anywhere. Looks like you're trying to compare apples and oranges. If not, what's your point?

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ 6pt bar ........

Not in any of my cars. First thing I did was cut the cage out of my Red Coupe. I have the time slip, so I don't need to return to the strip.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ A 77 Cutlass has to be close to 4000 lbs minus driver ........

What a coincidence. About the same as my Coupes.

I'm sorry but 11 seconds cars and you expect me to believe they are basically stock, full interior, all metal, stock suspension and no engine modifications? In stock form these cars are pigs, they weren't built for speed. Comparing a 48 to a 50 is like apples to pears, you compared a 77 Cutlass to a 50 88, I thought it a more applicible comparison to your car.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ while yes stripping the car to nothing may not be practical for everyday use, if he is trying to go low-buck weight loss is his best bet........

He's street racing. If it doesn't look stock, he won't get his bets covered, and he won't make any money. How much weight do you think he can lose without it looking obvious?
Which draws more attention a light car or a car with a bunch of mods? to go faster he needs to do more then change gears, car is heavy and under-powerred with the wind resistance of a brick house.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ otherwise that maybe 200 horsepower smogger engine, is going to need some attention........

Do I sense, you have something against emissions equipment?
well they rob power, decrease gas mileage and otherwise complicate matters underhood, even here in St Louis were we have tight emmissions standards a 77 is exempt, why have that which is useless adding weight and sucking away power

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ I highly doubt the car has better than 3.08:1 gears........

2.4 or 2.6 would be a better guess, but what do I know?

2.56:1 would be my first guess, so you are spot on there

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ a mid gear like a 3:42:1 would be a good upgrade, if he considers an overdrive trans 3:73:1 would be VERY feesible and not ruin highway gas mileage, but if you do nothing more then gears and tires, I think you will find freeway cruising is going to be seriously compromised........

He wants to participate in street racing competion, not Grand Touring.
eventually weight wins over inertia, Olds engines aren't high revvers, if you kill the top end trying to improve the low end, you still are going to go slow, this is why I wouldn't suggest a 4.11:1 rear gear with the rest of the drivetrain stock, besides he wants to drive this car....my brick has a 260 and 3 speed, let me tell you it struggles to do 85 mph and that sucks (and that is highway gearred) stick a huge gear on a basically stock 77 and you'll be lucky if traffic doesn't run over you on the highway, you also won't pass too many gas stations

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ figure out what weight you can shed, swap in some gears, make sure you have some decent performance tires and think about some low-buck engine upgrades...in no time you will see vast improvements

Since his street racing experience is with Camaros, and he's new to Olds, he asked for specifics. How and what to shed? What gear ratio? What tires? What engine upgrades?
I made some suggestions on where weight can be shaved(some more practical then others), but you just want to fire away at them. Ultimately it will be his choice what on the car stays or goes, but the car needs to shed weight or make that much more power to compensate....making more power is far more expensive. I did suggest a middle of the road gear set and what type of tire to look for (do you need brands and models?) upgrades, like cam, intake, carb, air inlet, exhaust...specifics are hard to give when he's not being specific as to his goals.

I'm also curious, because I've never done a '77 Cutlass. :lol:

neither have I but its pretty much common sense, what makes one car faster should be adaptible to another, same basics apply, the difference of course being in the parts used.If you ask a general question like "how do I go faster", the answer, IMHO, has to be vague

81 Cutlass Calais 260/350 (purchased Nov 04)
never thought I'd say "I miss the power of a 307"
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:20 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

from one of his other locked posts
"When holding the brakes and building up the rpm it turns the tires over pretty good and then takes off. I'm trying to get a nice holeshot without burning my pockets either. I know you guys can help me get my 77 Cutlass right"
this is clear and concise, I can show you were to get the answer for this one. www.tciauto.com, they have a questionaire on there getting specifics about your car so that they can make an educated recomendation on which of their torque converters will fullfill your needs. Personally I'd stay aware from a stall more then 500 rpms over stock... 300-400 over stock is probably ideal for you but see what TCI says. Since they know far more of their products then I do.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:44 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:04 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

DrRansom442 wrote:
88 Coupe wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ there is a guy around here goes by the name "Tinker" he also has a "low-buck" all-steel car (I think his is a forty-eight)....I believe Tink said his car back halved, 6pt bar has a fighting weight of under 3000 pounds with nothing but a barely breathed on single 4 barrel 455 .060" over runs solid 11s .........

DrRansom442 wrote:

My coupes weigh just under 4000# each, have stock suspensions front and rear, and run on unleaded pump gas. If they weighed 3000# they would run high 10s, and still drive anywhere. Looks like you're trying to compare apples and oranges. If not, what's your point?

DrRansom442 wrote:

Not in any of my cars. First thing I did was cut the cage out of my Red Coupe. I have the time slip, so I don't need to return to the strip.

DrRansom442 wrote:

I'm sorry but 11 seconds cars and you expect me to believe they are basically stock, full interior, all metal, stock suspension and no engine modifications? In stock form these cars are pigs, they weren't built for speed. Comparing a 48 to a 50 is like apples to pears, you compared a 77 Cutlass to a 50 88, I thought it a more applicible comparison to your car.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ while yes stripping the car to nothing may not be practical for everyday use, if he is trying to go low-buck weight loss is his best bet........

He's street racing. If it doesn't look stock, he won't get his bets covered, and he won't make any money. How much weight do you think he can lose without it looking obvious?
Which draws more attention a light car or a car with a bunch of mods? to go faster he needs to do more then change gears, car is heavy and under-powerred with the wind resistance of a brick house.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ otherwise that maybe 200 horsepower smogger engine, is going to need some attention........

well they rob power, decrease gas mileage and otherwise complicate matters underhood, even here in St Louis were we have tight emmissions standards a 77 is exempt, why have that which is useless adding weight and sucking away power

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ a mid gear like a 3:42:1 would be a good upgrade, if he considers an overdrive trans 3:73:1 would be VERY feesible and not ruin highway gas mileage, but if you do nothing more then gears and tires, I think you will find freeway cruising is going to be seriously compromised........

eventually weight wins over inertia, Olds engines aren't high revvers, if you kill the top end trying to improve the low end, you still are going to go slow, this is why I wouldn't suggest a 4.11:1 rear gear with the rest of the drivetrain stock, besides he wants to drive this car....my brick has a 260 and 3 speed, let me tell you it struggles to do 85 mph and that sucks (and that is highway gearred) stick a huge gear on a basically stock 77 and you'll be lucky if traffic doesn't run over you on the highway, you also won't pass too many gas stations

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ figure out what weight you can shed, swap in some gears, make sure you have some decent performance tires and think about some low-buck engine upgrades...in no time you will see vast improvements

Since his street racing experience is with Camaros, and he's new to Olds, he asked for specifics. How and what to shed? What gear ratio? What tires? What engine upgrades?
I made some suggestions on where weight can be shaved(some more practical then others), but you just want to fire away at them. Ultimately it will be his choice what on the car stays or goes, but the car needs to shed weight or make that much more power to compensate....making more power is far more expensive. I did suggest a middle of the road gear set and what type of tire to look for (do you need brands and models?) upgrades, like cam, intake, carb, air inlet, exhaust...specifics are hard to give when he's not being specific as to his goals.

neither have I but its pretty much common sense, what makes one car faster should be adaptible to another, same basics apply, the difference of course being in the parts used.If you ask a general question like "how do I go faster", the answer, IMHO, has to be vague

ANY PARTICULAR REASON FOR USING BLUE FONT?

ANY PARTICULAR REASON FOR NOT CORRECTING YOUR CODE BEFORE YOU POST?

NOT ONLY ARE YOU MAKING YOUR POSTS CONFUSING AND HARD TO READ, BUT ON MOST BOARDS IT'S CONSIDERED RUDE.

MY USE OF CAPS, IN THIS INSTANCE, IS INTENTIONAL, AND I BELIEVE THE REASON IS OBVIOUS.

PLEASE MAKE THE CORRECTIONS, SO WE MAY CONTINUE.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:00 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:
DrRansom442 wrote:
88 Coupe wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

DrRansom442 wrote:

ANY PARTICULAR REASON FOR USING BLUE FONT?

ANY PARTICULAR REASON FOR NOT CORRECTING YOUR CODE BEFORE YOU POST?

NOT ONLY ARE YOU MAKING YOUR POSTS CONFUSING AND HARD TO READ, BUT ON MOST BOARDS IT'S CONSIDERED RUDE.

MY USE OF CAPS, IN THIS INSTANCE, IS INTENTIONAL, AND I BELIEVE THE REASON IS OBVIOUS.

PLEASE MAKE THE CORRECTIONS, SO WE MAY CONTINUE.

when typing within the copy, another color makes text easier to distinguish, if colors othre then black were unacceptible why is there an option on this or any other board? I post on about 7 or 8 boards, first time anyone has said anything about "other then black text" If you wish to type in all caps go ahead, most people will just think you are insane

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:59 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

:eat:

Heeere we go.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:48 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ when typing within the copy, another color makes text easier to distinguish ........

In case I can't read? Have you had trouble reading my posts? Do I need to change the color of my fonts so I can be understood?

Using tags correctly would make all the text in your posts easier to distinguish.

Changing font/format is also a tactic that's used to obscure any points one might have trouble answering. Handy when calling someone a liar (Which I'll adress when we return to the sublect).

Then again, it might be another try at a diversion, since the "Tinker" thing didn't fly.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ why is there an option on this or any other board? ........

I don't know, maybe someone else will answer on a different thread.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ I post on about 7 or 8 boards, first time anyone has said anything about "other then black text" ........

Maybe it wasn't used as a diversion. Maybe it was and no one noticed.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ If you wish to type in all caps go ahead ........

I made my point.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ most people will just think you are insane

Name calling is not productive.

Now, if you'll make the corrections, We can get back on topic.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:50 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

87Delta wrote:
:eat:

Heeere we go.

Is that extra butter? I have nachos and soda

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:05 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:
In case I can't read? Have you had trouble reading my posts? Do I need to change the color of my fonts so I can be understood?

Using tags correctly would make all the text in your posts easier to distinguish.

perhaps it was late and some of us are rusty on HTML commands, was just easy to change color and therefore seperate my responses from yours. i can admit I am definately NOT the world's most PC savvy, I know just enough to be dangerous
88 Coupe wrote:
Changing font/format is also a tactic that's used to obscure any points one might have trouble answering. Handy when calling someone a liar (Which I'll adress when we return to the sublect).

if I wanted to avoid responding to you, wouldn't I just not respond? What a concept
88 Coupe wrote:
Then again, it might be another try at a diversion, since the "Tinker" thing didn't fly.

diversion or a better comparison then a 50 88 versuses a 77 Cutlass. I stand by my anology

88 Coupe wrote:
I don't know, maybe someone else will answer on a different thread.

rhetorical question regaurding the font colors

88 Coupe wrote:
Maybe it wasn't used as a diversion. Maybe it was and no one noticed.

divert your attention by trying to draw attention to my responses? is that like hiding in plain view? <-rhetorical

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ If you wish to type in all caps go ahead ........

88 Coupe wrote:
I made my point.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ most people will just think you are insane

88 Coupe wrote:
Name calling is not productive.

I didn't call you a name....calling you a name would be like "you are an idiot" or "hey, bonehead..." I made a statement of perception...when people type in all caps, netiquitte (sorry for the mis-spelling I am a tad intoxicated, I hope atleast I am coherent) dictates that all caps = yelling, if you wish to shout out your responses go ahead...there are two other conclusions one can draw about all caps, but assuming anger is the nicest assumption.

88 Coupe wrote:
Now, if you'll make the corrections, We can get back on topic.

man i am not sure this post is going to display right and adding all the quote and end quote tags was a bare, sorry but there is no way I am going to fix the other post.....don't re-read it if its such an eyesore

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:23 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

DrRansom442 wrote:
perhaps it was late and some of us are rusty on HTML commands, was just easy to change color and therefore seperate my responses from yours. i can admit I am definately NOT the world's most PC savvy, I know just enough to be dangerous ........

OK, it was all an accident. Yeah, that's the ticket.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ a better comparison then a 50 88 versuses a 77 Cutlass. I stand by my anology ........

Please explain the specifics of your analogy, and how someone named "Tinker" and his 3000#, "back halved '48 "something or other", has anything to do with this thread.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ there is no way I am going to fix the other post .......

Easier to make excuses, than to do it right? I''ll work around it, because I don't wish to inconvenience you.
DrRansom442 wrote:
........ don't re-read it if its such an eyesore ........

I haven't read it. I requested you fix your f****ps, so I could read it.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ when people type in all caps, netiquitte ........ dictates that all caps = yelling, ........
88 Coupe wrote:

Would it help you understand the obvious, if I told you I knew that?

DrRansom442 wrote:
weight reduction is like free horsepower

Rather than stating the obvious, please, give us some practical suggestions. You know, something that might apply specifically to his car. Something he can actually use.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:05 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

whoooooooooo! :eat: andrewk, were running out of chill pills :lol:

Currently driving: 2004 Sentra 1.8S
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:13 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

:beer: Yeah, I need to call in that perscription huh?

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:50 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

DrRansom442 wrote:
from one of his other locked posts ........

Not dealing with locked posts. They were locked for a reason.

In my experience, the second is deleted and the offender warned. The third is deleted and the offender banned.

If he had posted that information on this thread, I would have asked him to elaborate. Like all his others, he did not include enough information.

But, I digress.

Your link doesn't work on four of my machines. Probably due to my firewall settings. :lol: If it did, it would go to TCIs home page. A link to the page you referenced would be appropriate, and I welcome any discussion involving TCIs generic information.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ Personally I'd stay aware from a stall more then 500 rpms over stock... 300-400 over stock is probably ideal for you ........

So, based on your experience, 300-400 over stock will fit his intended use perfectly? In spite of what TCI might say?

My experience says, +500 RPM can improve fuel mileage around town, provide an excellent placebo effect, and net little, if any, 60' improvement. In a lighter car you might see some gain in that same 60'.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ but see what TCI says. Since they know far more of their products then I do.

Obviously, they know their own products, but do they know his particular combo?

bigdog wrote:
I want more launch from my 77 Cutlass. She does fine once she is off the line. But a little quicker would help me. don't want to go broke either.
bigdog wrote:
4 barrel carb ......... flowmasters ........ Just getting out of the hole seems sluggish because of the weight of car I guess........ I usually go about 25-30 mph and nail it if I'm messing with somebody ........
bigdog wrote:
I really need that first burst from 0-35 mph range........
bigdog wrote:
........ i want people to look at it and see all of the luxury a 77 Cutlass brought ........
bigdog wrote:
........ i want to drive it comfortably and everyday if I have to .........

Given those parameters, any significant weight loss is not practical.

BTW: Did I mention, a simple gear change can make gains equal to 1000#, or more, of weight reduction?

bigdog wrote:
........ I have experience in street racing , just Chevy camaro's.

This one led me to believe he's into serious street racing. Whether he is or isn't, makes a big difference in his choice of gears and converter.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ a 77 has 2 strikes against it, its heavy its not aerodynamic.

That's a given. It was a given when he first said '77 Cutlass. Doesn't mean he can't make significant improvements without reducing weight.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ My advice works for making ANY car faster ........

You seem to have a penchant for stating the obvious. I doubt you'll ever find any one that will dispute your statement.
Anyone with any experience, however, will question, as I have, your application of that information.

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ if he wants to maintain an all steal body with a full interior, then to go faster, he's needs to look into spending some $ to go fast

$1200 USD spent in the right areas would make him extremely happy without lifting the hood

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:59 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Can you get teh "family sized" bottle at Sam's? I am growing weary of the Spanish Inquizition already. I have answerred the original poster's vaugue question with a vague answer but someone else feels the need to hyjack the thread and go over my posts with a fine tooth comb, contributing nothing to this thread aside from showing he has some sort of axe to grind. Reducing weight may seem elementry but how many people overlook it? I searched all of Bigdog's threads, I found a question that I could answer specifically and did so, as far as I am now concerned the thread is over.

If you wish to bitch and moan about my HTML skills, create a new thread that can be ignored in the order it was typed. If you don't like my anologies, just say you think they are BS, but your insistance that I am trying to "type around" your questions is bull, however I can assure you my desire to respond to you is drastically diminishing. Perhaps in your divine wisdom, 1) YOU can give US the answers you seek from ME 2) you can try a tad harder to contribute to the subject of this thread (instead of acting like a cyper-terrorist) 3) you can just try shutting up.

PS pass some of that popcorn

PPS TCI's webpage has a detailed questionaire on it asking vehicle specs and desired outcome, I conceed that people who make and sell torque converters have ALOT more knowledge on them, maybe its me but if the car is essentially stock anything more then a "mild" stall is a waste. No matter what his biggest hamperring is a lack of power and weight, since it takes more torque to move a heavier object. loosing ANY weight should help the car get going faster....basic laws of inertia here. You can either make more power, have less weight or figure how to lessen parasatic losses. Which option is the cheapest? <--- not rhetorical

Last edited by DrRansom442 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Page 3 of 5 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next