It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:20 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Brando wrote:
The two harness connectors for each instrument cluster are arranged differently, along with more wires/pins installed in the same connector for the more advanced clusters. I just looked over my service manual a little bit...have to look deeper to see about the driver information center but don't have time right now.

So, basically I'm screwed. :(

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:08 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Not screwed...you'd have to do a little rewiring...

I looked at my manual, that thing is called the "Auto-Calculator".

"Oldsmobile's optional Auto-Calculator provides useful travel information on fuel economy, time, and distance. It is also a handy clock/calendar and a four function calculator."

The touring sedan had a tachometer in it's gauge package. I'd like to try and wire in a digital cluster....I'll have to study it more, but right now I gotta study for CLASS... :lol:

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:48 am 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Last post for tonight, here is the Auto-Calculator wiring diagram:

Looking at the wiring diagram for the standard instrument cluster speedometer, it has output for the auto calculator (vehicle speed sensor buffer, 2000 pulses per mile, wire 381 RED), it happens to also be used by cruise control, same wire.

It looks like this is definately plug and play, it's a very simple circuit and a cool thing to have...now I just gotta find one.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:55 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hey Guy's,

Been watching your conversation about the addition of a digital guage cluster and if you're interested in one, I think I might have 2 of them sitting in my basement.

I believe they came out of a couple of 89-90 98's? Can't remember, my brother actually pulled them for my touring sedan.

I do have a spare DIS as well, but I'm going to keep that one.

I had some difficulty installing my DIS. The harness connectors were there but they were not terminated properly. Had some wire retracting/replacing to do. - Thanks GM service manuals!

Regards,
Shane

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:30 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Yes, GM Service manuals are great to have, almost have a set for each car (87 delta 88 and 98 intrigue)...just need to get the 99 intrigue service manual.

Do you have any pics of the clusters that you have?

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:48 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

I pulled the dash apart in the '91 today, and found the driver information system to be a little different than I first thought.

There is no connector, like the speedo. There is a harness coming out of the DIS, and it goes into the dash. No visible way to just unplug it. The speedo is quite a bit different than I remember mine being.

I think if I rip the whole dash out I could see where the harness leads. I think hope for this DIS project may be bleek :-(

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:23 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
I think if I rip the whole dash out I could see where the harness leads. I think hope for this DIS project may be bleek :-(

Yeah, I'm not able to tackle it anytime soon. Just moved into the new place and that is being a time-taker-upper :(

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:03 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Brando wrote:

Do you have any pics of the clusters that you have?

TOC Admin
Brando

I do not, they are currently in the basement of my parents house. If anyone is interested I can make it a point next time I'm over there to take some pictures.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:10 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Brando, do you have any clue how I would wire in the cluster? I'm sure there are some wiring diagrams somewhere. And just for clarification, the picture below is the pins that the cluster connects to. The white connector is for the info center or whatever it's called.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:57 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

I have pinouts for connecter 1 and connector 2 (the harnesses on the left). I'm not sure about the Auto-Calculator harness...haven't checked into it yet.

I'll scan it up soon....

You have 442 posts... :lol:

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:16 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Brando wrote:
I have pinouts for connecter 1 and connector 2 (the harnesses on the left). I'm not sure about the Auto-Calculator harness...haven't checked into it yet.

But I think there are more pins for the other cluster I got at the junkyard?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:50 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

87delta, that white connector for the autocalc is not there in my 91. I expected to see the DIS plugged in to a similar plug, but no. I wonder where a person could pick up one of these auto calcs? I would expect they'd be fairly rare, from what I've seen anyways.

Ehh, my dash computer does everything the DIS does and more... :-) Sooner or later I will upgrade the PC from a pentium 133!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:36 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
Ehh, my dash computer does everything the DIS does and more... :-)

Well, I realyl don't want oto go through all that trouble. I like my dash as it is. :lol:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:20 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Still have my 1987 Delta 88. Been looking at different clusters.
I bought a Touring Sedan cluster. It has the driver information system as well. I believe I would need to change out the ECM in order to make the DIS work. Plus, there is no shift indicator since the touring sedan had a console shift.

So I just recently purchased a Gauges cluster off of eBay. Has the standard speedometer and fuel gauge...plus coolant temp, oil pressure, and voltage gauge. I already have the oil pressure gauge sensor in anticipation of using the touring sedan cluster. I would like the tachometer, but I'll settle for this cluster as it has the shift indicator built in.

I also just found an Auto-Calculator on eBay and purchased for under $20 shipped (came out of a 1987 Cutlass Calais). I'm excited, quite the rare piece. I just read about it in my manual. It has a trip odometer built in, but it also has a separate trip odometer built in that you reset after each gas fill up. It has a MPG feature where you enter the amount of fuel you put in and then it uses that trip odometer to calculate fuel economy. It even displays the time and date. Plus, it's a calculator. Addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication. Unfortunately no derivative or integral functions. Can only ask for so much.

Not to mention the new cluster I picked up has an analog trip odometer above the fuel gauge...man, so many trip odometers. :lol:

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2