It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:21 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

My turn signals stopped working as well as the brake lights. The hazzard lights (blinkers) are also not working. The third brake light still works. I replaced the fuses for the turn signals and hazzard flashers. I think it may be the turn signal switch or the flashers that have gone bad.

Can someone tell me where the flasher for the turn signal is located?

Last edited by jcongiu on Thu May 01, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:28 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Front seating area, driver side, under dash, passenger side of steering column, mounted in fuse block

if you need add'l info go to http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke ... 0eda6f.jsp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:36 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

jcongiu wrote:

Can someone tell me where the flasher for the turn signal is located?

Welcome to TOC.

The use of large and bold fonts, while I believe you did it for emphasis, is not needed to get your point across. I, as well as others interpret that as rude, and it appears as if you are yelling.

To address your problem, it is very rare to have both your hazard flasher, and your turn signal flasher go bad at the same time. However, we do need to eliminate them from the problem. I also am assuming you checked the bulbs?

Here are some pictures of where the Turn Signal flasher is located on my Lumina. I did not feel like removing the instrument panel to get a pic of the hazard flasher-:lol:

That autozone link doesn't really show you or tell you anything that hasn't been said, so I went out and took some pics of my car for you.

This is what the area looks like on my car. Yours being newer, this trim piece might look different. The black "bar" is the brake pedal, and we are looking at the base of the steering column.

Remove that trim piece, and you will see this- The flasher is the silver "canister"- There is no fuse block that it is mounted in, just a clip and a plug.

And a close up of the flasher.

I would start by replacing this. If you experience no change, let us know, and we can address the problem further. I have a feeling you won't see a change, but it's worth a shot.

If the flasher does not change anything, the problem is more than likely internal in the column. Since it is both your hazards and the turn signals that aren't working, we know that it isn't just one switch that is the problem, since they use separate switches. Do your other steering column functions, like wipers/washer, horn, cruise control, and back up lights work?

The W-body is known for breaking wires in the steering column, but we will address that if and when we need to.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:01 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I replaced the flasher unit and my turn signals now work. The brake lights also started working again, too. Thanks again for your help!

- John

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]