It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: To Save or Scrap?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:27 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I have an Olds Delta 88 Royale, she's my first car & I'm hoping someone has insight. I was having problems steering, at first it was just humming and I had to put all my weight into turning. I brought it in, was told that it needed $800 of repair for a replaced power steering pump & new struts(?). Instead I flushed the power steering, it stopped humming, started turning but does not turn left without locking up. I bring it to the next guy who I'm told is a bit of an Olds enthusiast, he says $800 of repair, but for a steering rack ($550) & eventually new brakes($250). With no promise of longevity.

The car has 55,000 miles on it and I'm now being told they're only ment to last to 60,000.
Whats the probability that replacing parts will add another year or two?
Is it possible to buy a used rack?
I can't imagine spending more money on fixing it to break down soon then what I payed for the car originally.
If anyone has insight I'd be grateful. It's the reason why I joined the site for 1 last attempt to save her. Otherwise I'm being told to buy a volvo.

Post subject: Re: To Save or Scrap?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:44 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

My 1988 Delta 88 ran to 336,000 miles. Right now I have a 88 98 Touring Sedan with 152,000 miles. These are usually reliable cars but they are 20+ years old so you will have to repair them as needed.

1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham Holiday Coupe

1988 Olds Cutlass Ciera International Series Sedan

OCA #037778
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: To Save or Scrap?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:43 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

if you want to save yourself from paying ungodly amounts of money, then just replace it yourself my friend. on my olds (1990 delta 88 royale) she sat in the yard for 7 1/2 years and all the lines rotted out of her. so after replacing the power steering lines, fuel lines, fuel sending unit, fuel rack, fuel pump, brake lines, calipers, drums, rotors, pads, shoes, tranny lines, and radiator she runsa amazing at 166000 miles and very strong. if you put the time and efort into it, the car will definatly pay for itself if you let her. im very proud of my car and so will you if you take the time in replacing the rack and pinion / power steering pump and the car will work very well for a long time after if you do so.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]