It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 8 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:02 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

What do you do when your best friend (AL) wants his 1994 2dr Cutlass Supreme to go faster (besides decking/porting the heads and putting ported 3400 upper and lower intake on the 3100) and you have suddenly acquired a 90 Olds Toronado Trofeo (for free)? I'll tell you:
You fire up your plasma cutter remove the engine/tranz/subframe and front strut buckets from the Trofeo then you proceed to remove the harness and ECM/BCM etc. from it also (LOTS of "useless" gismo's on the Trofeos)
Then you take the Cutlass gut it and tube cage the back half of the car while removing everything (not required) with PLASMA cutter (one of my best investments).
To make it short, weld in the front strut buckets from the Trofeo in the (old) rear strut position and build outriggers from the cage to bolt the front Trofeo subframe into the rear of the cutlass.
Bolt in the 3.8L v6/Tranz into the subframe and lower car back onto the subframe load in the 15 Gal fuel cell and Aeromotive pump and an-6 and 8 lines (so he can drive it while I reduce the Trofeo's harness to the essentials and make a VATS/PassKey simulator for the ECM)
Find out that the (now) much larger rear brakes will lock em up and install Adj. proportioning valve!
After I finished the harness (Al is horrible at electronics) I eliminated 53 lbs of a 65lb harness and made a signal generator (30Hz ground pulsed) to simulate the OEM VATS signal so that engine will run without killing injector pulse--Anti theft. We installed the rear battery (more room up front for ram air) and ran the main power/ground and got to listen to the sweetest sounds!
TWO V6's with open exhaust!
We have finished the dual shifters and the rear throttle cable/axleshafts etc. and put a Flomaster on the front engines ex. (fits great where that d**n Cat once was!) and then we went for a ride!
Where the front used to just unload and spin the tires now it does it but the rear squats and GOES! What a difference!
We are planning to go to Byron IL dragaway when I get back to IL from helping my Grand parents move from in CA to TX.
But Al has to finish the new console and door panels interior stuff we had finished the rear (removable) firewall but he is doing the finishing touches while I am away. He is making it look like a GIANT Subwoofer box complete with fake speaker grills! This will (hopefully) make the tech inspector not notice the rear engine and think she is all STOCK! I can't wait to get back to working on her!
She will always be a work in progress and I have to post my pictures (have to have him Email me the pics first out here!) so that you can see it is truly a homebuilt 94 442 (400(total) hp-4 wheel drive-2(twin) engines)
Future mods include a T04 turbo for the 3.8L (and maybe Nitrous) to help push her off the line, and a DIY EFI MegaSquirt v2.2 ECM to control it at that point (costs the same and is much more tunable than a JET chip)(uses Assembler and even has shareware to use a Windows based fuel map adjuster!)
That first ride with both engines had us grinning ear-to-ear more than enough to make us want to do it again with maybe a twin engined Pontiac GTP!
Here are some pics this one is Al in his cutlass (16.51 at 83mph) and me in my low budget 74 Nova hatchback (13.52 at 103mph). This is our baseline testing of the cutlass before we really started hacking her up
Definitely behind the seats! This was after we set up the fuel system but before the wiring of the rear engine. He wanted it drivable for a getaway car after his wedding to a true gearhead chic-Amanda. She didn't even get pissed when we had used the dishwasher to clean engine parts on the 3.1L and 3.8L- yep she still married him even after we tracked ATF all over the driveway
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/ ... eseat2.jpg
And of course the trunk view, Now the rear engine compartment including the Aeromotive pump. In the upper right (I hope you can make it out) is one of the caged chassis outriggers that bolts to the stock front Trofeo subframe. The Rear engines Exhaust will be run to the Left rear and we will be running the Front's to the right rear. All we have to do is throw the Catalytic converter on and take it to the test center to have the Emissions tested (with the rear engine off)
I talked with him last night and he said his mpg hasn’t went down but 2mpg to 20mpg with the rear engine off. He has set up an ATF pump to circulate trans fluid (rear trans in N eng off) while he drives. Until he gets another Flowmaster for the rear Ex. he doesn't dare start it on the street unless there are NO FUZZ around. Last week he raced my friend Kenny in his 350sbc 84 Cutlass and stayed neck and neck the whole way to 90mph. Like I said, I can't wait to get back to IL to help finish her up.
NEW INFO Al just picked up a set of factory roller rocker heads for his 94 442 3.1L front engine!
He got them from my old shop off a 96 3.1L with a rod knock that they were doing an engine swap on
FREEBIE (+ time to remove=priceless) so now he is gonna do the ports etc and get them decked like his non Roller rocker heads. It's probably worth it (factory does rate the later engines 10hp higher) just for the lower frictional losses.
But I still reminded him that he was actually SUPPOSED to be looking for another 3.8L/4t60E for the front.
He said he found a Caddy with the 4.9L v8 and 4t65e trans for less than a grand (wrecked)
I'd have to take some measurements but I do believe that the Deville chassis was wider in front so I don't think it would work out (track width is wider?)
Besides we want the monster motor in back!
I still got to keep him focused on finding a turbo for the rear 3.8L (al la Buick GNX)

Believe me I want to be done with this move so that I can get back to finishing the 442. I really want to try and clean it up smooth off some of the rough edges and maybe get it to the Mondello Olds Nationals and show it off. Last year they held a meet at the Byron drag strip (SW of Rockford IL) but Joe Mondello couldn't make it that year, but I hope he does the next time they swing by the Chicagoland area.

This is back when we first started the cage/chassis work
yup he was still driving it at the time with the factory tank
ImageImage
Here is the rear view right after we put the Trofeo's subframe and strut buckets in after ditching the original rear suspension-yup he was still driving it- the tank is on top of the subframe with mechanics wire holding it in place!
The 3800 and Tranz after all of our porting mods/replacing of all the gaskets-ready to throw in the cutlass
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/ ... lation.jpg
The cutlass (soon to be a 442) as we get ready to drop the subframe to put the engine/tranz on it and bolt it back into the 442. You can see right through the wheel wells at this point-yup we did everything in that driveway (at the time: his wife to be's/soon to be father in laws)
notice the oil/crud all over the driveway!
In the background is his (now) mother in law's 96 olds 88 with a 3800 series II that we have been trying to convince that she would get better gas mileage if we "took" her 3.8l and put the 442's 3.1L in her car-so we can have two 3800's!!! Hasn’t worked---YET!
This Pic sucks but you can see the Trofeo's Front brakes and the brand new struts (Trofeo) soon after we finished installing the engine/putting it back together.
I am trying to get him to send me or post new pics-he needs to be a member! But he isn't computer friendly!
Maybe I can blackmail him about the Bachelor party to get him online!?!

Al has just traded a bunch of work on a Ford (pinkly)Taurus for the guy’s, wife’s, old (00)Grand Prix rims-the 17 inch x7 wide with good used tires! It just turns out the she also liked rubbing them against the curb-OUCH! But he says he's going to see how they look (2 are in okay condition)-I still want him to get the American Racing FWD Torque thrusts for it! Make it look like a Modern 442 should!
:D

Whatcha think of our modern interpretation of the 442 ?!?
Modern (Redneck) Hotroddin at it's finest!

Last edited by Turbocharged400sbc on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

13.81 @ over 98 MPH! consistent 1.9s 60'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:34 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

no comments? i figured someone would appreciate how nuts we are?
I know some of ya have viewed it (dont know how many actually read it), whatcha think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:46 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Quote:
whatcha think?
Hi Turbocharged400sbc, hello all
Since you asked, it is different.
A little less work could get a 455 in there, but, thats been done several times already, and wouldn't be different.
Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:43 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

sweet sweet sweet... monster garage at home!! Thats way too awesome, I wish I had the time and money and or extra carsto play with.

Its amazing what you guys' have done with that. You should swap the front motor for the 3800 L67 motor... Hell, you should do them both. Dual superchargers. That would be crazy, not that it isnt already crazy the way you've got it!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:06 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! I loved creating the car-even though it isn't mine, Al and I had fun creating it. yeah it's too bad we didn't get an older toronado and grab a 455 to go with it-but that's the best part about building the chassis/cage with outriggers that the factory front subframe bolts to--we can swap something else in fairly easily! and two of the supercharged 3800's would be great but we really want another 3800 for the front and throw a turbocharger on each one (an involved task but one that i know we could do without to much of a headache!).
the best part being that he still drove the car to work during the week while we were doing it all! when we start turbocharging the rear engine he can still drive it around and when we do the front engine he will be able to drive it on the rear engine! and if we break anything we can still get home!
We would both love to do a twin engine Aurora (just imagine TWO 4.0L) but as you can see it is a really low buck deal entirely. I have loved my ride in it so much that I want to do a twin engine Dodge Daytona/Omni for MY daily driver! i would love twin turbocharged 2.2L Chrysler 4 cylinders-that would be fun! I have access to the two drivetrains i just need a Daytona/Omni!
I like the fact that no one else has a 94 442 or anything like it (YET!) that's the uniqueness of it, like "TV" Tommy Ivo and his twin engine buick engined dragster, and his other crazy creations. Maybe just maybe it will be the start of a new area of hotroddin!
I almost should open my own shop, when i get back to IL from out here in California! Thanks for the feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:15 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

A Quick request for anyone who has/knows of a 3800 powered 90-97 GM corprat car (Grandprix,regal etc) with rear end damage for sale or totaled by insurance co. in the Illinois area? Maybe at a salvage yard?
we need the subframe/suspension with the engine/tranzaxle/PCM/wiring to be able to put it in the front of the 94 442 twin engine cutlass we are doing.
He accuired a Lumina and wants to put the 3100 in the front of the 442 in the lumina so we can have two 3800 in the 442.
Thanx, Schlim and Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:17 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

well here are some new pics of Al's and I's project, the 94 442 Olds (400 Hp (total)-4 wheel drive-2 (twin) engines)
we are hoping to be finished with all the interior work by the begining of racing season so he can race me in my 74 Nova,
long live lowbuck/redneck hot rodding!
this is the rear engine (3800 S1) bay (view from behind the drivers seat) with the new radiator/cooling fan
the front engine of course-3100
this is the rear engine bay (view from the trunk) with the harness installed and the new throttle & shifter cable (a 14 ft Morse Cable cost's $$$$ lol)
the Bada$$ 100psi Aeromotive fuel pump for both engines (4 port regulator with 2 xtra ports for future N20 and Turbocharger fuel enrichment feeds
the later model roller rocker heads for the front 3100 engine-right now undergoing porting and undercut valves to replace the friction rocker heads on the front engine now
and a rear 3/4 shot with a little of the dual exhaust rear bumper (from 3400DOHC convertible) to look good for each engines exhaust tip
Al and his brand new axle shafts fer the rear engine/tranny (we drove it with the shot stock axles so these should make allot less noise lol)
and yet another pic this of both the tranny shifters-we have found a way to weld them side to side with vertical handles for easier opperation

we will be doing another twin engine vehicle soon (87 Lebaron GTS-2.2L turbo), and who knows we might start doing more of em.
well what do you think?
James
Schlimthecarguy@comcast.net
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:43 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Looking pretty sweet!
So you're going to mount both shifters side by side? Are they going to be joined together so it'll be like one shifter?

Looking good... :)

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:00 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

nope both will be independant so that we can drive with either engine if the other engine breaks down and it makes for easy front then rear wheel burnouts (just put the opposite engine in park lol)
and we are just modifying the brakets and the knobs (vertical style pistol grip) to fit em close side by side since we cant afford two Hurst ratcheting narrow pistol grip shifters-(yet anyway lol)
just look at Al's sh!t eating grin---we're going racing when the tracks open up next season! he should do much better than 16.5 in the quarter this time lol
I am hoping to break mid 12's in the Nova with the new plate (N2O) settup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:39 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Turbocharged400sbc wrote:
nope both will be independant so that we can drive with either engine if the other engine breaks down and it makes for easy front then rear wheel burnouts (just put the opposite engine in park lol)
and we are just modifying the brakets and the knobs (vertical style pistol grip) to fit em close side by side since we cant afford two Hurst ratcheting narrow pistol grip shifters-(yet anyway lol)
just look at Al's sh!t eating grin---we're going racing when the tracks open up next season! he should do much better than 16.5 in the quarter this time lol
I am hoping to break mid 12's in the Nova with the new plate (N2O) settup

Ah....gotcha :wink:
Sounds like fun! :)

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:24 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

i'll post when we are going to the track if anyone is in the area and want to see us run the car....or blow it up, anyway it'll be a good show LOL!
we will have video too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:52 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

awesome... I dont know what to say except I wish I were there to see this thing in action!

Wow... Hey can you do front AND rear burnouts in opposite directions at the same time??? :-)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:16 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I read about a twin engine 70s era Toro with two 455s, one front and one back like your setup. 4WD and all that just like yours. Anyway, they got real smooth acceleration because there is no way except luck that both would shift at EXACTLY the same time. The driver reported that the feel was awsome because it was constant acceleration with no lurching or anything, maybe you guys can expect the same kind of performance :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:59 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
awesome... I dont know what to say except I wish I were there to see this thing in action!
Wow... Hey can you do front AND rear burnouts in opposite directions at the same time??? :-)

already have :wink: front engine in D and the 3800 in R and a bit of bleach/dawn on the wetted down road the 3800 pulled it backwards after the front engine upshifted and took him out of the puddles-talk about a jolt! we should have wetted down the whole street or waited fer rain but....... why wait.
it was during our first test drives that we noticed that the stock toronado halfshafts were pretty wornout nut with the new ones there should be less slack in the driveline, less jolting LOL
we do want to get a D&R burnout on video though! maybe even put the front into R andthe rear into D lol make it a compact car LOL (dont think that it could do anything with the 2x3 inch subframe rails/cage lol)
schlim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:18 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

:-) :-) :-) I LOVE IT!!!

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 8 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next