It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: VIN Decoding
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:50 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Does anyone know a website where I can enter a VIN for a '49 Oldsmobile and find out the specifics on the car? I just bought one in South Dakota and most of the identifing featurs have been removed. The VIN is 498K7431. I've found a site before but I have been pulling my hair out trying to find it again.

Thanks,

BillT

Post subject: Re: VIN Decoding
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:38 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

BillT wrote:
Does anyone know a website where I can enter a VIN for a '49 Oldsmobile and find out the specifics on the car? ........

Not for a '49. Things were a lot simpler back then.

Quote:
........ VIN is 498K7431 ........

It's a '49 "88" built in Kansas City, and it was the 7431st off the line in that model run.

My Coupes VINs are both 508Mxxxxx = '50 "88" built in Lansing.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:34 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I'm also having trouble trying to figure out what year, make, and model my car is....?

I believe it is a '70 Cutlass supreme convertible model, but I don't know the horsepower of the engine or the size of the motor? If someone could please help me with the VIN number I would greatly appreciate it....

It's / 342670M412087 /

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:41 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi dgentry, hello everyone,

Welcome to TOC.

Quote:
........ 342670M412087

3 = Olds
42 = Cutlass Supreme V8
67 = Convertible
0 = 1970
M = built in Lansing, MI
412087 = Production number.

For more, look here. Consider it a guide, not the ultimate authority.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:53 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:
Hi dgentry, hello everyone,

Welcome to TOC.

Quote:
........ 342670M412087

3 = Olds
42 = Cutlass Supreme V8
67 = Convertible
0 = 1970
M = built in Lansing, MI
412087 = Production number.

For more, look here. Consider it a guide, not the ultimate authority.

Regards, Norm
Well hello to you also, and nice to be here! I checked out the web site and I do appreciate it alot! But don't you know when I got to the horsepower ratings they had all but my year...? 1970, 350 rocket..? I just wanted to know the horsepower and torque ratings for that year. The reason I'm inquiring is because I'm getting my motor rebuilt and am just wondering what kind of power I can expect? He said he's upgrading the cam, doing some head work and putting on a new intake and of course I'm going to try and get a new carb and headers, MSD ingnition, dual pipes... you know the "semiradical" upgrade.... One thing he did say was that he thinks the car would run excellent with a 3000 stall converter? So, I don't know if that tells me anything or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:30 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

dgentry wrote:
........ I just wanted to know the horsepower and torque ratings for that year ........

My '70 is a 350 4 bbl and it was rated at 310 HP. No way to know how that rating was related to the actual peak power output of the "Mule" they used on the factory dyno.

dgentry wrote:
........ I just wanted to know the horsepower and torque ratings for that year ........ I'm getting my motor rebuilt and am just wondering what kind of power I can expect? ........

And what are you going to compare them to? Even if they were accurate, you'd have to dyno the rebuild in order to make any kind of comparison. Before and after timeslips or dyno sheets are the only ways to evaluate your improvements.

My newly acquired '65 Cutlass has a 330 4 bbl, that was rated at 290 and it feels twice as quick as the above '70. Does that tell you anything?

You'll be better off going here and here to find out what engine and heads you have, so you'll know what you are working with.

Quote:
........ He said he's upgrading the cam, doing some head work and putting on a new intake ........

What kind of headwork and what flow numbers does he expect? What cam and intake? More importantly, what pistons, and what compression ratio will it have with the heads and gaskets he's going to use?

Did he advise you what differences in drivability to expect, particularly fuel mileage and highway cruising?

Quote:
........ I'm going to try and get a new carb and headers, MSD ignition, dual pipes ........

If you already have a 4 bbl, and are not building a "full on race car" your Q-jet is more than up to the job.

Whether you need headers, and what type you should get, depends on the rest of your combination.

MSD is a waste of money.

Dual exhausts are always good.

Quote:
........ you know, the "semi radical" upgrade ........

Without more specifics, no, I don't.

Quote:
........ One thing he did say was that he thinks the car would run excellent with a 3000 stall converter? ........

Depends on the rest of your combination, and what you'll use the car for. What rear end gear/tire combo did he suggest?

Quote:
........ I don't know if that tells me anything or not?

It doesn't. You need to ask a lot more questions, then take the answers and plan a combination that you’ll be happy with.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:34 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:
BillT wrote:
Does anyone know a website where I can enter a VIN for a '49 Oldsmobile and find out the specifics on the car? ........

Not for a '49. Things were a lot simpler back then.

Quote:
........ VIN is 498K7431 ........

It's a '49 "88" built in Kansas City, and it was the 7431st off the line in that model run.

My Coupes VINs are both 508Mxxxxx = '50 "88" built in Lansing.

Regards, Norm
Well... LOL! I don't think I gave enough info. I was basically expecting a rough estimate, but I am limited in my knowledge of engines and I can't give you all of the pieces to the puzzle. I do know that it has the 403859 casting number heads which is out of the '70 Cutlass. 64cc flowrate in which he's done some work to them and said it should breathe a lot better. I assume he's put the original pistons back in? The cam and intake upgrade he suggested a 3000 stall with it? I did tell him I would be changing the rear gear to 373 with a shift kit in the tranny, which is a 350 tranny. Based on my limited info and your wide knowledge of cars is there any horsepower range you can tell me based on that info? 200-300 horsepower maybe??? High 200 or high 300?

Sorry about the late reply been away from home for a while. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:13 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I don't think I got my point across.

HP/torque numbers are all but useless, except when using a dynomometer to "dial in" a new combo, or for bragging at a bench racing session.

Since I use timeslips to tune mine, I have no idea what numbers any of them might show. And since I don't play the "bragging game", I don't have any reason to.

My questions stemmed from my interest in your project, not from any numbers you might want to hear.

dgentry wrote:
........ 64cc flowrate ........

64 cc (cubic centimeters) would be the size of the conbustion chamber. No relation to the CFM (cubic feet per minute) flow of the intake and exhaust runners.

Quote:
........ he's done some work to them and said it should breathe a lot better ........

Doesn't tell us anything.

Quote:
........ I assume he's put the original pistons back in? ........

I don't think so.

Quote:
........ The cam and intake upgrade he suggested a 3000 stall with it? I did tell him I would be changing the rear gear to 373 ........

Without knowing what cam and intake, it doesn't tell me anything.

3.7 gear and 3000 stall is a popular suggestion whether it's right for the intended use, or not.

Quote:
........ Based on my limited info ........ is there any horsepower range you can tell me ........

You have yet to give us anything.

It appears, the most qualified person to answer your question, is your machinist. He has all the needed info.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:26 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

LOL!! Ok I give up... I'll just tell you about it when I'm done... Thanks for the VIN number info anyway. 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:42 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well I'm back...

I just found my printout and have got a few specs to go along with what I've told you so far..

Anyways the Cam number is 170124
Intake valves 1.995
Exhaust valves 1.622
It also says a competition valve job has been done (cut bigger) Bore 30, new intake. Not a big intake I think it's just good enough to replace the old one.

Based on the info I've discussed with you thus far on this whole topic... is there any guesstimating on the power output I wil get??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:18 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

dgentry wrote:
........ Cam number is 170124 ........

No help. Need to know the lift and duration.

Quote:
Intake valves 1.995
Exhaust valves 1.622

Stock size valves.

Quote:
competition valve job

No help. Definition of the term depends on who is doing the defining.

Quote:
Bore 30

New pistons. No way to tell what compression you have.

Quote:
new intake.
Not a big intake ........ good enough to replace the old one.

Then, why replace it?

Quote:
........ is there any guesstimating ........

You still have not supplied anything, that anyone can use.

The only person that has what you want, is your machinist.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:04 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Cool. Well I will let you know how it runs when done. If I have any problems with the motor I'm sure you wouldn't mind helping me with it. Thanks.

I was just asking these questions to see if you knew what a simple ugrade would produce to the rebuilding of a 350 olds.... I'm sure you've built them up or know someone who has with the similar upgrades that I've mentioned? Thanks again I do appreciate your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:46 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

dgentry wrote:
........ I'm sure you wouldn't mind helping me with it ........

That's why I'm here.

Quote:
........ I'm sure you've built them up ........

I have.

Quote:
........ I do appreciate your input.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:32 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:
dgentry wrote:
........ I'm sure you wouldn't mind helping me with it ........

That's why I'm here.

Quote:
........ I'm sure you've built them up ........

I have.

Quote:
........ I do appreciate your input.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Norm
No problem.... I just couldn't give you enough info? Wish I could've but I don't know much about engines.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]