It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:04 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

This will be my first attempt at painting. I am only doing two fenders just because they were damaged and need to be repainted. Also I dont want to spend a lot of money of the finest paint out there because this is just practice. Once I get more experience and better at it I will go with something like the more expensive PPG line of Finishmaster when I end up doing the whole car. Anyway here are my plans so tell me what you think. I have to strip the panels of all the current paint. Once I am done with that I plan to use a filler primer and then a epoxy primer/sealer. After all of that is done to include all the wetsanding I plan on spraying on a coat of Finishmaster Omni paint. No clearcoat will be sprayed over this. I plan to get 1 qt of the filler primer, 1 qt of the epoxy primer/sealer, 1 pt of omni blue paint for the upper part of the panels, and 1 pt of omni grey paint for the lower part of the panels. Does this sound like a good plan and also are my using the correct types of paints and primers for a decent job. Additionally is this the right amount of materials or do you think too much or too little? I know most of what is going to make a good paint job is the prep work also. Additionally I know spraying a grey/silver color is a PITA. Thanks in advance for all the help. John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:38 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

My father is a painter, and one thing I learned is to use the good stuff in the first place. Some of the cheaper stuff when you sand it down to spray good stuff on it, it will end up reacting. Make sure when you do it, sand it down really good. Use a good cleaner to remove all the oils and such before you lay down the primer and paint. If it was me id keep the fenders the way they are till you get some money to do the entire car right. Im pretty sure the car from factory is not laquear paint, but it could be. My 1987 Olds is enamle. If yours is laquear then you'll have to sand down the entire car from what im told when you do the entire car, it fades quickly. It should tell you if it is under the hood or trunk lid. Try and go to your local PPG store and they can help you out with matching colors. But all else you sound like you on the right track.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:03 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

ok also from a body fender /painter tech
my 2 cents
laquer is the devil, it stopped goin on cars in the late 70`s, and for good reason
enamel is also the devil, hence why you see so many cars out there and the base and clear is coming off, why?? epoxy sealer and a water based base coat mixes like water and oil and POOF!! paint just peels right off
well you say the fenders are damaged, leave the car alone, go and get some practice sheet metal first play painter on that before you do it to your car
omin is ppg`s cheap product line FYI
enamle should be sanded down back to the factory sealer or e-coat, if you have never used a D.A. before practice on a shitty piece of metal
or you can chemically strip the metal using aircracft stripper and be careful!! this stuff is strong and it will burn your skin it will seep into cracks wear a mask wear rubber gloves
but i am with him save your money and buy all the material ya need to repaint the whole car
i recomend ppg`s dbc line this line is easy to use it uses one reducer for primer sealer base and clear
and when mixed with dx57 it is activated and also chip resistant helps film buidl for graphics
for painting in the garage i suggest using omni`s clear, it`s a great product and it does go over all of ppg`s dbu and dbc systems
ratio`s for dbc system are as follows
ncp 271 primer 3:1
ncp2004 2005 sealer 2:1
base coat 1:1 with dx 57 1:1 to 5% of dx 57
omni`s clear 2:1 with a cap full of reducer
now one thing you must also remeber is the 15 degree rule when painting, if it is 60 out you use 75 temp when it is 70 out you use 85 temp so on and so on
dbc uses dt reducer for all the products listed above
any more questions i will be glad to help

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]