It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Door lock problem
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:23 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

i have a problem with the auto door locks on my 91 olds cutlass ciera. Thye worked fine till one day just wouldnt work, every now and again they would work once but very slowly. I checked the fuse its a silver box lookin thing and it was really really hot like to the point i could feel the heat of it on the outside of the glove box with the glovebox door closed. Tried another fuse the locks worked slowly then the fuse got hot again. What could be causing this?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Door lock problem
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:56 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

The silver thing you speak of is not a fuse, but a circuit breaker.
The power locks work very slowly for a while because they have a huge voltage drop (short to ground I assume). Eventually the 30 amp circuit breaker kicks in and stops all functioning of the power door locks. You should still be able to hear the door lock relay functioning/clicking when you press the switch.
Does the circuit breaker get hot after putting it in without even working the power door locks?
I would check the ORN/BLK wire to see if it has any continuity to the chassis ground. Do you have a multimeter?
Using DC volts setting, pull the circuit breaker out (silver thing), and find out which of the two terminals is the "hot" terminal...one test lead on the chassis ground (with battery connected) and the other test lead to check the terminals. One of the terminals should show 12 volts (hot) and the other should show 0 volts-nothing.
Once you've found the "hot" terminal, remember which is which...disconnect the battery. Set multimeter to Ohms. Put one test lead on the NON-"hot" terminal and the other test lead to the chassis ground (note that it is important for the battery to be disconnected as it would show near 0 ohms otherwise). It should show nothing "OL"..over limit...infinite resistance. If it shows a low resistance....time to find where that ORN/BLK wire is shorting out to the body/chassis.

What I described is the easiest place to start...don't have to tear anything apart...yet.

Keep me updated.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]