It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:12 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

i have a 89 cut ciera intrnat 3.3L vin n. when reaches op temp, it just stops runnin in drive, & will restart n idle as it should.put in gear give any gas--DEAD!.NEW FUEL FILTER, PUMP.STILL NO-NO. WILL NOT SET CODE! GOT NEW BRain, works just the same, no diff.also new fuel gascap. still problem. it happens when in gear n just at op temp.like startit 1st thing in a.m. drive 1 block, dies.starts n lucky if iot'll go when in gear.think its fuel p;ress reg....HELP!!!I HAVE BEEN STUCK 3 WEEKS NOW.PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING. MY ENGINE & CAR ARE NOT USUALLY COVERED WHEN SEARCHING FOR INFO N REPAIRS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:10 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

From: http://ezinearticles.com/?Twenty-Five-F ... &id=537856

ezinearticles.com wrote:
10. In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:49 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

GEE, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!-NOT!!I THOUGHT THIS SITE COULD HELP ME........& I M SURE 99% OF THE POPULATION CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT I ASKED.SO SORRY!!EXCUSE ME! ALL I GOTTA SAY IS, WHY YOU GOTTA BE LIKE THAT?SHEESH!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:28 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

From: http://ezinearticles.com/?Twenty-Five-F ... &id=537856

ezinearticles.com wrote:
13. Do not use all caps or SHOUT in your posts ........

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:40 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Again, Excuse me! Didn't think it mattered-sheesh!do you have nothing better to do than be so nit picky? CanI Please get some response relating to the automobile question I originally asked?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:02 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

89cutcieraintrnat wrote:
........ Can I Please get some response relating to the automobile question I originally asked? ........

What was the question?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:23 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

To speed up help for this guy...
89cutcieraintrnat wrote:
i have a 89 cut ciera intrnat 3.3L vin n. when reaches op temp, it just stops runnin in drive, & will restart n idle as it should.put in gear give any gas--DEAD!.NEW FUEL FILTER, PUMP.STILL NO-NO.

He's saying that he has an '89 Cutlass Ciera Internation 3.3L VIN "N". He states that when the car reaches operating temperature, the car doesn't run in Drive, and it will restart and idle as it should do. If he puts the car in gear and gives it gas, the car dies. He states he put in a new fuel filter and a new fuel pump, and it still dies in gear.

89cutcieraintrnat wrote:
WILL NOT SET CODE!

I guess he's talking about the OBD system.

89cutcieraintrnat wrote:
GOT NEW BRain, works just the same, no diff.

I guess he got a new computer for the car, and it had no effect on anything.

89cutcieraintrnat wrote:
.also new fuel gascap. still problem. it happens when in gear n just at op temp.like startit 1st thing in a.m. drive 1 block, dies.starts n lucky if iot'll go when in gear.think its fuel p;ress reg....HELP!!!I HAVE BEEN STUCK 3 WEEKS NOW.PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING. MY ENGINE & CAR ARE NOT USUALLY COVERED WHEN SEARCHING FOR INFO N REPAIRS

He states he also got a new gas cap, and that had no effect also and that it happens when the car is in gear and at operating temperature. He describes the problem here: "Like starting it first thing in the morning, drive a block and it dies" He states that he starts it again and if he's lucky the car will go into gear; he thinks that it's the fuel pressure regulator. And then he pleads for help: Help! I've been stuck for 3 weeks and if anyone knows anything can you please help him, and that he's been searching for information on repairs, and that his car and engine aren't covered in the instructions.

And Norm, I'm sure he didn't mean to type the way he did, and it's probably that he really needs help. I've seen people type like that before when they really need help with something.

I hope that this whole post clears everything up and that now this person can get help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:25 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thank you, whomever you are! :D I am still having problems! new oil pressure switch because everytime right before it died the oil pressure gage would spaz out otherwise it held steady. it still is dying. when rpm above idle in drive, so not sure WHERE to check next! C(3)1 ignition?any sensors on the tranny? it does it in Drive or Park when give it gas rpm @ 2000....any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:15 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

rr4567 wrote:
To speed up help for this guy ........

Thanks for your help. It is a start.

rr4567 wrote:
........ I'm sure he didn't mean to type the way he did ........

His/her "intent" has/had nothing to do with what was actually typed.

rr4567 wrote:
........ and it's probably that he really needs help .......

Until I have evidence to the contrary, I always assume that someone would not ask for help unless he/she needed it. And If someone asks for help in a internet forum, logic tells me that he/she knows nothing about diagnostics.

Anyone who understands the basics, will pinpoint the source of the problem and verify (by testing the condition of the part) that it actually needs to be replaced.

rr4567 wrote:
........ and that now this person can get help.

This person has been "throwing parts at it" hoping that one of them will "fix it" and now he/she wants someone to suggest more parts to "throw at it".

Not the way I do business. Instead, I will try to use the above information, to pinpoint the actual problem.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:20 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Because of its inherent communication problems, internet diagnosis is difficult at best. In this case, clarification is our best friend.

Did the problem occur "overnight" or gradually? Did you make any changes/adjustments at about the time it began?

rr4567 wrote:
........ when the car reaches operating temperature, the car doesn't run in Drive, and it will restart and idle as it should do ........

Does it die at cruising speeds? Or after it comes to a stop?

rr4567 wrote:
........ If he puts the car in gear and gives it gas, the car dies ........

How much gas?

rr4567 wrote:
........ he put in a new fuel filter and a new fuel pump, and it still dies in gear ........

The above symptoms do not point to faulty filter or pump.

rr4567 wrote:
........ I guess he got a new computer for the car ........

The above symptoms do not point to a faulty computer.

rr4567 wrote:
........ new gas cap ........

Since this fuel system is not vented through the cap, it could not be the source of the problem. Even if it was, the engine could not be restarted, in P or N, until the pressures were equalized.

Easy way to test for a "wrong" cap, on a non-vented system, would be to loosen it ½ turn and see if the problem goes away.

rr4567 wrote:
........ "Like starting it first thing in the morning, drive a block and it dies" ........

If indeed, it reaches operating temp "within a block" that would be when it goes from open to closed loop. I would be asking what changes during the transition.

rr4567 wrote:
........ he starts it again and if he's lucky the car will go into gear ........

This tends to poke a hole in my last comment.

rr4567 wrote:
........ he thinks that it's the fuel pressure regulator ........

The above symptoms do not point to a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

89cutcieraintrnat wrote:
........ the oil pressure gauge would spaz out ........

Define "spaz out". Then tell us if it always occurs exactly when the coolant reaches "operating temp".

89cutcieraintrnat wrote:
........ any sensors on the tranny? ........

Tranny? Not a subject I am familiar with.

There are no sensors in, or on, the trans that would cause the above symptoms.

89cutcieraintrnat wrote:
........ it does it in Drive or Park when give it gas rpm @ 2000 ........

It runs fine, at anything between idle and 2000 RPM, as long as it is in P or N? At what RPM does it "die" when it is in gear?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]